Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CELESTRON CG5 GT MOUNT

Matt2011

I have a Skywatcher CG5 GT mount and a Skywatcher 127 Mak and would like to ask as the mount is new is that is it common to scratch the base of the tripod when your trying to put on the mount as I had some difficulty earlier putting the mount on the tripod but did it in the end but have left scratches on the paint work on the base of the tripod.:):icon_salut:

Hi Matt, I have the same mount with the paint well and truly scratched with putting on, adjusting and removing the head. I would expect this is common with this mount as the paint is quite soft.

Harry

i wouldn`t worry about it too much, if like me you like to keep your gear looking new, i know how you feel but its only paint and can be retouched if you think it`s a problem, the paint they use on those mounts looks like black hammerite, not the best finish.

it`s a good mount so enjoy it.

Thanks Red Dwarf, Not really used it as I have only recently bought it and finding set up on the Nexstar complicated. What is the procedure of setting up a Nexstar and also what are the Zone options on the handsets as I all I see is places in the USA on there and do you select Universal Time also for the UK. Gonna probably get the GPS Sky Sync GPS to help me also. Thanks

Thanks All. Should I buy black spray paint that you buy in Halfords to go over the scratches on the CG-5 GT MOUNT. Also anyone know much about the Celestron SkySync GPS Unit and is it worth getting to make set up easier. cheers

I wouldn't bother with the gps unit, It's expensive and if you are viewing from the same site you only need the coordiates once, if you have a smart phone you can download astride panel app It's free and it'll give you the information you need

It has been a while since I used a cg5 gt mount but you can download the manual from the celestron site, it helped me a lot, once you get the hang of it the controls are great, as for paint I'd get a small pot of hammerite paint and a small brush, It's hard wareing paint

I wouldn't bother with the paint either. The tripod head will either be aluminum or cast steel so the chances of it rusting are remote. If it's a case of being overly fussy (and I know the feeling) then you will find your having to paint the tripod all the time as aluminum & cast steel aren't the best key for paint anyway hence why it comes off so easily in the first place. If the day comes that you want to upgrade then by all means if you think it will make a difference to the re-sale value get some Hammerite Black paint and touch it up but I doubt very much the finished article will match the finish of the rest of the mount.

Yeah my paint scratches off all the time on astronomy stuff. But just think, no one will see it in the dark, and it won't really affect re-sale value too much (unlike if it were a car!).

With all things in life, it is a case of buying something to look at and keep in perfect condition, or use it, enjoy it and realise it will get scratched, bumped, bruised, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived