NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

It looks clear out!

CJBooth

What's the issue CJ? I might be able to make a suggestion or two.
I recently purchase a 300P Auto Dob and was initially very happy with it, however I've now started to notice a lot of play in the gears. If I locate an object and start the tracking, the object can pretty much disappear before the scope starts to track at all.

If I nudge the scope by hand, there is a lot of play in the gears and it'll move quite some distance before I hear the gears start to shift.

Is this normal for this kind of mount?

SkyWatcher suggested I remove the plastic cover of the motor and adjust an allen socket to see if that fixes it, but having removed the cover I can't see what they mean and I've actually hurt my back pratting about with it.

What would folks here suggest please?

I'm in touch with the retailer, what should I request that would be reasonable?

I've had the scope only for 3 weeks and have used it, perhaps, 5 times.

Thanks

Craig

That's my issue. I've been told to expect some lag, but it seems quite a lot and I can lose objects from view even though I've activated the tracking.

Hmm... make sure it's tip positive and has the appropriate fuse in it - don't wanna blow the mount electrics. I got my 5amp one from Maplins and they'll give you good advice if you're not into electrical circuits :)

:) I have no idea what any of that means! :)

@CJ - there is a little play in motors of all the 300P Flex Auto's - mine is the same. You need to follow the setup instructions quite precisely.

When setting level and altitude finish all left/right movements and centering on the "right" arrow key. Up/down movements and centering should finish on the "up" arrow key in the East - or the "down" key in the West.

If moving the scope manually I allways do a big slew to "near" the object and finish the centering using the arrows as above. It makes a difference :)

(The goto handset gives "approach" settings which also help improve accuracy)

@Dude - Hmm... make sure it's tip positive and has the appropriate fuse in it - don't wanna blow the mount electrics. I got my 5amp one from Maplins and they'll give you good advice if you're not into electrical circuits :)

No problem, it's a dual output supply with just banana plugs on it. I'll need to make up a lead but that's OK, I'm all right with stuff like that.

Here is a link to the PSU on ebay if you're interested...

Fusion Twin Power Supply PS200T - 200W 13.8V | eBay

Hi Dude,

What voltage does your mount need, my lx is 18v, I have a Meade spare and a maplin both @ 18v though.

Hot tub took priority over viewing tonight! :-)

It's 12v, but thanks very much :)

Archived