Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

300pds to heavy?

Hi I'm looking to get a 250pds on a neq6 pro mount for viewing and possibly photography. I am also considering the 300pds weight/storage/transport aren't an issue but I have made some enquiries about imaging on the 300pds on the neq6 and have been told that imaging on this setup wouldn't be good because of the weight.

I assume that this is the weight of the ota as the dslr I was going to use for prime focus isn't heavy is this correct?

Is the weight of the ota of the 300 on or at the limit of the neq6?

I guess the choice I have is to get the 250 and imaging setup or get the 300 and worry about imaging later?

Just not sure now if anyone could give me some advice I'd appreciate it.

Many thanks

Brian

Title typo 'too heavy'

If your imaging you have to also consider the weight of the guide scope and how your going to mount it, a 250 on a EQ6 is within accepted imaging limits even with a guide scope.

The 300 on a EQ6 would be OKish for visual so Ive read, but forget imaging as your pushing the mounts limits before you even add everything required for imaging.

hi have got the 250pds for visual- can highly recommend for visual but cant comment on imaging. if you havent owned something that size before you may not want to go for too big at first, worth getting used to a scope and how it handles etc before go for large. Worth reading some previous imaging threads, for new imagers the sw80ed is highly recommeded as one option for getting into imaging

regs jamie

Thanks very much for the info guys it'll be the 250 then which means I'll have a little money left over for extras I have quite a shopping list on the go at the moment :-)

I have been reading a lot and I have noticed a lot of people using refractors for imaging is this because if the easier setup or are they better? (I quite enjoy tinkering so the fiddly bits of newts doesn't worry me) I'm interested in dso's but I'm sure I'll be looking at planets also.

I think I'll just start with observing at least to begin with to get used to using the scope. I'm borrowing a small newt this week to get some practice.

Thanks

Brian

Archived