Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQMOD and time

swag72

I live in Spain, and so I am +1 hr GMT. However, I always use GMT when aligning the scope as it just seems easier! I have EQMOD installed on the PC now and I have a question about time.

My PC is currently set to CET (+1) - Should I just set it to GMT and keep it there? It's no issue if the time is less than 1 hour. When I polar aligned my scope, that was all done on GMT as well.

i`ve also noticed that the times are different on the settings of eqmod the other day when i set it up for the first time with proper coordinates, if i remember correctly the eqmod was a hour in front, should i change it ?

also Steve, just bought your book, making every photon count, it`s a great read and even i can understand the terminology L.O.L. but i can feel a spend coming on after xmas !

EQASCOM (both with a mount connected and using the EQMod simulator) uses the PC's internal UTC time for all its astronomical calculations so if your PC is showing the correct local time and you have the PC set to change with BST/DST then all will be well and EQMod will be performing correctly. However, if the time set on your planetarium software is not the correct local time and you are not matching the BST/DST to that of the PC then there will be a discrepancy between the two which you must resolve.

I only work in GMT because I am used to doing so from another part of my life (although my wife will tell you it's because I have never understood what 'turning the clocks back' means!!)

red dwarf, I'm delighted that you are enjoying my book.

i`ve also noticed that the times are different on the settings of eqmod the other day when i set it up for the first time with proper coordinates, if i remember correctly the eqmod was a hour in front, should i change it ?

What EQASCOM displays is the Local Sidereal Time which is effectively the current RA of an object on the meridian - don't worry if this doesn't match your PC time it is a different thing altogether.

Chris.

Archived