Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is there a place to buy used EP?

Another 8 posts and you'll be able to access the For Sale forum here on SGL. Otherwise there's the Astro Buy & Sell website.

In the price range you mention you could be looking at a new plossl - GSO Revelation, Meade 4000, or Vixen NPL for instance, or secondhand you could keep an eye out for a Televue plossl, or BST Explorer (£41 new).

In UK, preferably online?

AFAIK London's got only one but very good shop...

Alternatively - any advice on a good EP with the focal length no more than 8mm under £40?

I would be interested in knowing the shop you refer to. I am down in London a couple of times a week at the moment so would be great to find a decent astro shop and if they sell 2nd hand EPs and kit even better.

5mm and 8mm BST Explorer from Sky's the Limit.

Also Skys the Limit do TMB II Planetary's at £39 and they go to 3.2mm and I think lower.

They also do the TMB designed clones at £37.

There is a wider range in the clones then in the TMB's.

All have a good reputation from people here on SGL.

As to used, not sure of a shop that "sells" used eyepieces.

The For Sale section here is one obvious, the other being UK Astro Buy and Sell.

The problem with looking for a used item is that if it is something specific you have to wait for one to appear for sale then you have to be the person to get it.

...The problem with looking for a used item is that if it is something specific you have to wait for one to appear for sale then you have to be the person to get it.

Thats perfectly true. A well priced popular brand such as Tele Vue can sell in minutes ;)

I would be interested in knowing the shop you refer to. I am down in London a couple of times a week at the moment so would be great to find a decent astro shop and if they sell 2nd hand EPs and kit even better.

Widescreen Centre off Baker street. Top service, in fact, best imaginable.

PS I should, actually, work on commission. But I don't. (Tom, if you are reading this - we should discuss! :)

PPS @ Mods: pls, pls, no penalties - this is not a commercial affair! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Having seen the price of used eyepieces in a dealers shop once (not the Widescreen Centre) I'd be much more tempted to buy from UK Astro Buy & Sell. The dealer was only reducing them about 15% below the new price wheras the private selling price of used eyepieces is often 30% - 40% below the new price and sometimes more.

Archived