Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Earth at Night

Astromart

I've seen this video on other astronomy forums and it results with the same comments as here. I'll add 'breathtaking' to the list.

So what could be better than seeing what the crew members see or being one of them? Not much. But what about talking to them? I have using HAM radio. As the ISS passes over your location, you can talk to a crew member if one is not busy for a brief time. My conversation only lasted a minuet but being able to talk to a space craft was so nice. If you are not a HAM operator, you can listen to these conversations (the ISS side downlink) on 145.800 MHz (FM) though you will only hear the ISS side. The other half of the conversation is on another 2m frequency (the uplink frequency). Since the ISS typically takes a few minuets to pass from horizon to horizon (sometimes less), the listening 'window' is short but in about 90 minuets, another orbital pass near your location can provide another opertunity. Most crew members have HAM licenses so the chances are good to hear one when they are not busy with their work.

So while most astronomers look at the ISS passing across the sky, you can listen to it if your timing is right or talk to it if you have a HAM ticket and a 2m radio (a scanner will also work). For times and locations of the ISS at any given time, go to "heavens above" on the web. and click on "ISS".

Happy listening and wishing you all many clear, dark skies..Mr Q (KB1LHE)

Archived