Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Suggestions for levelling Dob?

Bart

Hello all,

As I have now discovered the miracle that is a Wixey, I appreciate the importance of levelling the Dob base. I have 2 small levels on the base currently but have a 'bullseye' level on the way.

I wondered if someone could offer suggestions/pics of how they level their Dob, apart from wedging door stops under it which is what I'm doing now. I was thinking of attaching a T shaped structure to the base at which I could insert some threaded system with a handle? I'm ok at DIY and hoped someone had pics/links that could help.

One thing to bear in mind is that I use a sack truck to move the scope around so this creates issues with 'under Dob' attachments.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bart

Same as above. Make sure you have enough travel on the adjustable feet. I bought some self taping bolts (screw into base with hex key) for the base & then the feet with ball joints & 50mm dia base, all off ebay on M10 threads.

It's actually not that important to get the base of a manual dob absolutely level. So long as it's not so far out of level that the movement of the Az axis is affected then it's good enough. If you've got a driven dob that tracks or are using setting circles then it's more important of course.

I now use industrial leveling castors on my OO 14" dob. So convenient to able to just roll the dob around the patio. The castors have rubber feet with built in anti-vibration pads that can be extended to raise the castors off the ground and level the base by turning the adjusting wheels in the top of the castor mounts. Cost.....about 100 quid for a set of three, or about the cost of one medium quality eyepiece.

John

post-14522-1338776929_thumb.jpg

I cut a piece of board, which on one side as a 360' circle I drew to give me my az bearings and on the other put adjustable legs cost about 20 quid from b&q to make a platform , I simply level it point it north then put the dob on top simples ..

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Archived