Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

eyepiece views

Cloudwatcher

Anyone know of any publications on the market that will show the actual eye piece views assessable

to the amateur rather than the technicolor images achieved with CCD and CMOS chips.

It can be a bit of a reality check for the beginner using a scope for the first time and somewhat off putting

when what they see with their own eyes bares little resemblance to all the pretty pictures seen in magazines.

Akyr and other members have made this point and if there is a publication available along the lines mentioned

above it could proove helpful in maintaining interest in the hobby.

Is there such a thing?

There is a site where you can input your scope aperture and eyepiece and it will simulate an image for you. I can't find the link at the moment but will keep looking (it has been posted on SGL before).

In the meantime take a look at this, it might be useful for scopes in the 10" range?

http://www.backyardvoyager.com/EyepieceViews.html

HTH

Bill£ :)

Edit: - FOUND IT !! http://www.scopesim.com/

I think books like "Turn Left at Orion" give a fairly realistic perspective on what can be seen with a small telescope too - Albeit in (kind-of) line drawings. There is still a tendacy (for me, anyway!) to think: "Wow, that's (expletive) small, faint, etc.". Repeat after me: "It's VERY far away..."? :)

Thanks Bill£.

The Backyard Voyger site really does show what you might expect see at the eye piece rather than the camera's view.

Scopesims very handy too for checking views from different sized scopes. Will add to my favourites.

Thanks again.

David.

Archived