Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Woo Hoo! Finally!

Pauly

Having spent the weekend watching 'how to's' on youtube, tonight I finally managed to get my mount properly polar aligned in about 5 mins :D, then carry out a 3 star align using the webcam and reticule function on sharp cap, and my newly aquired RDF. This little item in particular has made such a difference. Ordinarily, I suffer from the well known newby-ism where I can pick out stars with the naked eye, but through the finder scope?....forget it. Anyway, as a result of my new found setting up abilities, GOTO function and tracking performed faultlessly. I would have liked to have been able to test it on some of our favourite DSO's, but with the moon verging on ridiculous levels of brightness I had to satisfy myself with the few stars that were still visible and of course Jupiter.

Still, it was a clear night and I finally got my scope and mount set up properly, so all in all, not too shabby. :eek:

Glad it all worked fine for you Paul. cant fault a happy man.

and it is nice to get the feeling of getting it all working. what is frustrating sometimes is when you look around and there is no one there to share it with. time to wake the neighbors up...

Not shabby at all, good job. If you learn something new, or the light comes on over something that has been frustrating you, it is a good night. Spent many a night getting frustrated over some little bit of AP process, then when it clicks, seems like the last five hours kicking myself was worth it....carry on!

I did come indoors to see if the missus wanted to see the moon, pretty much filled the FOV in a 20mm e.p. Do you think I could coax her outside? Being bracketed by weird neighbours I gave up there. :D

Anyway, as you rightly say, it's the satisfied feeling that you've applied all you've learnt and arrived at a favourable conclusion.

I suffer from the well known newby-ism where I can pick out stars with the naked eye, but through the finder scope?....forget it.

well done, I still live in hope!! If the skies are clear this weekend I'm determined to align mine correctly. I look through the finder scope for one bright star, then, in the eyepiece where did you lot come from!! By the time I find the one I'm looking for a few minutes have passed and when I finally finish alignment it's taken to long and it never works properely :D

I can thoroughly recommend the Astronomy shed videos on YouTube. Ful of tips to make the alignment process easier and more understandable. And Cabby, treat yourself to a red dot finder. It's the best upgrade I've made so far.

Well done on completing your alignment. It really is a special feeling when something you have stuggled with suddenly clicks.

And Cabby, treat yourself to a red dot finder. It's the best upgrade I've made so far.

Have to agree with that, couldn't find anything with the included finder and have found the Telrad a godsend. I have also just invested in a RACI finder but the weather has been so poor since I got it that I have been unable to give it a proper try out.

Archived