Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Light Pollution

Patbloke

Hi Folks,

Bit of an old chestnut here but; I just received notice of a planning application for a 130 houses quite close to where I live. Not really an issue as it will be replacing an old laundry and nursing home. However, as comments were invited I took the opportunity to place on record my thoughts and in particular that with extra roads come extra street lighting.

Should the development go ahead (which I hope it does by the way) I suggested that the council consider turning any new street lights off between midnight and 0500hrs. I went on to remind them that this is already being done around the country on sections of the motorway network.

Not only will there be a saving on the use of energy (less environmental impact) there will also be less light pollution which is something that amateur astronomers amongst others are campaigning for.

I suggest you all start approaching your councils to see what they are doing about light pollution! :)

We want not only clear skies - we want dark ones as well!

Same topic, does anyone have an idea of how much a typical council (eg, where I live, South Oxfordshire) spends on street lighting per annum? It would be a powerful argument to present to them at a time that cuts are being made? The figure in £ per resident per annum would also be interesting.

Chris

Well said PatBloke.

Followers of the post might like to look at various parts of nottinghamshire county councils website. They are a few months into a 4 year programme of money saving. this involves surveying lots and lots of villages around the county with a view to street light dimming/turn off/after midnight turn off.

Various parts of the site give cost savings, etc.

The Nottinghamshire scheme has already seen some villages darkened. It is not 'paper' scheme. things are happening. Though it is villages only. Sorry Nottinghamshire town dwellers, you will just have to keep up the pressure.

strange that the newspapers have not been full of (more than usual) murder and theft reports. Obviously a conspiracy going on here.

strange that the newspapers have not been full of (more than usual) murder and theft reports. Obviously a conspiracy going on here.

I might write to my Chief Constable to seek his view on Crime and Disorder during hours of darkness? :)

Archived