Opinions on Barlow and eyepiece

When I got my first scope it came with a Vixen 2x Barlow 31.7T and a Celestron Omni Plossl 9mm EP. Could anybody tell me if these are any good or should I look at replacing them, i am mainly interested in the moon and planetary views, although I will probably expand that as I got my first good look at Albireo the other night and thought it was amazing.

Tony

Hi Tony,

They a both decent quality items - the Vixen barlow perhaps a bit better than the Celestron 9mm Omni but both a step up from the accessories that a generally supplied with scopes.

You may have to pay over £100 to replace them both with better quality items.

That's pretty good quality ep's to start with, as said above, you can only add to these, you will need something in the longer focal ratio such as a 32mm or a 25mm, it's a shame all new scopes don't come with quality ep's like these.

Thanks for the replies guys, I also have what I assume is the standard Celestron 25 mm EP. I discovered that the bottom part of the Vixen barlow unscrews and has the same size thread as an 1.25" EP, would I be able to use an EP with the bottom end of the barlow screwed onto it.?

Tony

Thanks for the replies guys, I also have what I assume is the standard Celestron 25 mm EP. I discovered that the bottom part of the Vixen barlow unscrews and has the same size thread as an 1.25" EP, would I be able to use an EP with the bottom end of the barlow screwed onto it.?

Tony

Yep i would assume so. It sounds similar to a 2x barlow i have just bought. By screwing the end of the barlow onto a similar 1.25" EP this gives the EP a 1.5x magnification.

Archived