PST 0.5 vs 1.0 Angstrom versions

Am considering getting a PST and wondered whether any one had any experience off the higher spec version (effectively double stacked filters)

Does it give significantly better performance and do you see more surface detail?

Please move if posted in the wrong section

Stu

A friend told me they were disappointed in their double stacked PST for visual use. The dimming from adding a second filter was too much for their liking.

Imaging is a different story, however. I know there's at least one more forum member that's getting stunning results from their double stack set up.

I had the same experience described by Hunternox. First impressions were good as filaments and surface detail were enhanced but the dimmer image toned down the view of prominences which was disappointing. Imaging, of course, can redress this balance. For visual, I would prefer to spend the extra cash on doing a PST mod which would be better than either. :)

Thanks Peter. As this will be my first step into solar observing, I'll keep it simple and go for the single version. From my quick peek through one previously, it was the prominences which I enjoyed seeing more so would not want compromise this

Thanks both for your input

Cheers

Stu

Along similar lines.....

Does the "double stack" PST break down so it can be used in single stack mode?

Or is it purely a 0.5A unit?

A friend of mine showed me the difference between a single & double stack (larger aperture Cononado) and the promenances were far clearer in the single stack, but the surface detail really leapt out in the double stack configuration. He does not have a double stack PST, so couldn't comment on the above query.

The previous PST versions used an added front etalon filter (SM40) to achieve the improved bandwidth. This could be removed to revert to the 0.8A standard.

Due to the doppler shift of the fast moving proms the 0.8 to 1.0A bandwidth gives a much better view. For surface features there's nothing to beat a <0.4A bandwidth!

The filaments, and magnetic distrubances show up in stark relief.....

• 1 month later...

Hi both. Sorry, have only just noticed your replies for some reason. Thanks very much for the information, very useful. I have a PST coming for christmas, single single stack version so am really looking forward to starting this side of astronomy (perhaps ' the bright side' as opposed to imaging's ' dark side') :-) :-)

Stu

Archived