NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Confused by 'visual backs'?

I have a recently acquired OMC140 Mak with a 1.25" visual back (I think that is right!)

The 1.25" visual back seems to just be an adapter fitted into a 2" focuser and held in with 2 grub screws.

What makes it a visual back then and not just a 2"/1.23" focuser? Can I put a 2" diagonal and EPs straight in the focuser instead (with extension tube as necessary)?

Yours,

Very Confused of Epsom :)

The term is usually used for 1.25" adaptors which are screwed onto the rear cell of an SCT using the standard SCT thread...

Does the Mak have a threaded rear cell? If so, then I would have assumed, that the "visual back" would have screwed directed to that. Do you have a focuser fitted to the rear cell? If so then you could be correct and the 1.25" is just an insert into a 2" eyepiece holder....

What age is your scope? Is it a purple, white or carbon fibre tube? The real cells do vary depending on the age of your scope but originally came with a screw on 1.25"visual back, but a 2" visual back could be fitted.

BTW the only focuser that has a small enough diameter body that will fit the OMC140 is the FeatherTouch with the small SCT adaptor. There's only about 1mm clearance between the focuser knob and the FeatherTouch.

John

post-14522-133877688191_thumb.jpg

Archived