Poor Eyesight

This maybe a silly question to some, but to me any tips and advice is highly sought after.

I have extremely poor eyesight in my left eye, and looking through bins is quite a chore, using them with my glasses is hard, using them without my glasses is harder, using two eyes gives blurred and double vision, using one eye is not enough.

Any tips or advice to help me out?

Cheers.

You should find that one of the eyepieces is adjustable (You can rotate it - it may even have a + and - sign engraved near it).

To use it you focus with the NON adjustable side of the binoculars first - leave a lenscap on the part you are not using so you don't strain your "non seeing" eye. Then switch to the other side of the Bino's and focus using only the eyepiece adjuster.

You should find that the binoculars are then set for your eyes and you only need to use the regular, central focusser, for adjustments for near and far objects.

Other people will have to reset the binoculars for their own eyes.

You should find that one of the eyepieces is adjustable (You can rotate it - it may even have a + and - sign engraved near it).

To use it you focus with the NON adjustable side of the binoculars first - leave a lenscap on the part you are not using so you don't strain your "non seeing" eye. Then switch to the other side of the Bino's and focus using only the eyepiece adjuster.

You should find that the binoculars are then set for your eyes and you only need to use the regular, central focusser, for adjustments for near and far objects.

Other people will have to reset the binoculars for their own eyes.

Sorry i am being a bit thick here, I don't understand that.

Why is using binoculars with glasses a problem?

I have used binoculars for the last 35 years and never had a problem.

The newer ones, last 15 years say, with wind up eye cups take care of everything perfectly. Just wind them down and look through them with glasses on.

When wearing glasses then the adjustment is zero as the glasses take care of any diopter difference and astrigmatism. I have both in my prescription.

Why is using binoculars with glasses a problem?

I have used binoculars for the last 35 years and never had a problem.

The newer ones, last 15 years say, with wind up eye cups take care of everything perfectly. Just wind them down and look through them with glasses on.

When wearing glasses then the adjustment is zero as the glasses take care of any diopter difference and astrigmatism. I have both in my prescription.

The problem I am having is probably coming with me using the bins wrong, lets take the moon for example, I can find the moon, get it into focus but there are two of them, no matter how open or closed I have the bins, there is two moons very close together, kind of like a ghost image.

What size bins are you observing with?

I used to suffer the same thing when observing the Moon with my 20X90 bins. The jump from 10X50 was too much for my eyes to handle. It does bet better with time (if this is the cause).

Right now i am in a situation where my eyes feel dry and itchy but if i look at a tv,monitor for any length of time then they feel like they are watery and blurring. They feel tired.

I have had the same double-image problem with previous binoculars. Buying a new pair of 8x42s helped. It might be an issue with the binoculars - perhaps they are out of alignment.

The bins I've got are long eye relief so I can keep my glasses on. When using a scope I observe without glasses, but with bins I need them on to find the bits of sky I want to look at...

What is the problem with your left eye? Short sightedness, astigmatism or something more severe? Different problems will have different optical solutions.

What size bins are you observing with?

I used to suffer the same thing when observing the Moon with my 20X90 bins. The jump from 10X50 was too much for my eyes to handle. It does bet better with time (if this is the cause).

Right now i am in a situation where my eyes feel dry and itchy but if i look at a tv,monitor for any length of time then they feel like they are watery and blurring. They feel tired.

I am using a very cheap pair of 8x40s

While it is possible to provide some limited adjustment between one side of the binoculars and the other, I have found that with my bino's this isn't enough.

What I've done is to unscrew one of the barrels by about 5mm use a dab of hot-glue to keep that barrel positioned there. Then go through the eyesight adjustment process, per any of the guides on the internet.

This does have the (dis)advantage that other people will almost certainly not be able to use _my_ binoculars, but I can live with that :)

Test their collimation. Look at a distant object from 8 inches behind the eyepieces. The distant object should be central in both eyepieces at the same time..if not that might be your issue?

Mark

I will do that tomorrow when hopefully there will be no cloud cover, I have tried it tonight on a street lamp and it does look slightly off.

Hi

I also have limited vision in my left eye so have downgraded from 10x50 to 7x50 bins (see sig). Have you thought about using a 10x50 monocular instead, that way you only use the 'good' eye.

I have not thought about that, it is all new to me so far and literally grabbed the first pair of cheap bins I could just to get looking!

Archived