NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pride before a fall!

Looking Up

Well after getting a mention in the picture of the week I was feeling pretty happy with myself ;). So I set up to take some images of NGC 7479 and lo and behold my Canon 40D would not take any frames showing error 99 :headbang:, after new firmware, batteries in / out / in /out, CF cards reformatted etc I think I have come to the end of the road! But on the off chance anyone has any bright ideas, I'm willing to try anything (within reason!).

This will of course allow me to broach the subject of a "proper" camera with my wife!!! Every cloud has a silver lining :)! It just might take a while.......

Spencer

Error 99 is the Generic Canon message for you have an error but we don't know what.

Typically this would be dirty contacts between the lens and camera body but if you have the body on a scope it probably isn't relevant.

There is a 2nd battery hiding inside the battery compartment on most Canon bodies, that is the battery backup for the on board settings it may need replacing?

Hi Guys, Thanks for the sugestions, I did clean the lens contacts with a bit of isopropyl, I'm not using a normal lens just the scope and I didn't hold out much hope of it making a difference and it didn't! I've had the little coin cell out of the camera and put it back it seems to have enough current to retain the camera settings, so I can't see it being that. I think it may be the shutter, perhaps long exposures have damaged it in some way!

Spencer

Well, I have got it working again but only in live view mode, it has to be on all through the session( tested inside on my living room carpet!) I think the shutter is on it's way out! Still if it can limp on until Chirtmas......

Oooooh. Definitely sounds as if its on the way out to me. Wink. Definitely need to buy a new camera. It would be awful not to have a working camera over Xmas. I've heard dodgy Lithium Ion batteries can explode and make a nasty mess of the Xmas tree.

No, safest thing to do is get a new camera.

HTH!!

Archived