NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Should my Starlight Xpress Filter Wheel be doing this?

MikeWilson

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of trouble with my SX filterwheel (on any computer that I care to attach it to). Basically, on power up the filter wheel spins around but doesn't settle. It makes quite a bit of noise while doing this and it's done this since day one.

It usually stops after a few minutes and sometimes requires the USB cable removing and re-inserting a few times before it starts to behave itself (which it did moments after I stopped filming.

Is this normal? SX call their filter wheel "quiet" and although it's not exceptionally noisy, it is at least as loud as my mount while slewing - not exactly something I'd call quiet.

Other than this, it's a pretty good filter wheel. It feels solid and well constructed and doesn't appear to let any light in.

Am I going crazy, or is this normal?

Many thanks,

Mike

Mike ....

When I plug mine in or when the PC boots the wheel rotates for a few seconds (up to about 10 seconds?). This is normal as it has to position itself at filter position 1 irrespective of where it was when it was turned off. After that initial positioning movement it only rotates to a new position.

I couldn't hear the sound yours was making but mine isn't noisy - it just makes the noise of the wheel turning.

Get on to Terry at Starlight Xpress

Thanks Mick,

I've sent an email to Terry and hope that he can help me. I'm hoping it's something very simple to fix as otherwise it's an excellent wheel.

What I've been doing as a workaround is going through the pullava to set a filter and then sticking with it for the whole night. It works pretty well that way as long as I don't want to change the filter.

All the best,

Mike

Thanks Rob,

The noise just sounds like the servos are working, but perhaps the wheel is getting a bit confused and not stopping on whichever filter it expects to be on. Maybe it's a software/driver issue?

All the best,

Mike

Is the carousel seated correctly inside? It sounds like either the wheel isn't going round (the motors are turning but the carousel isn't) or the contacts that tell the FW that it has returned to it's home postition aren't making contact?

The carousel is obviously removable and the filters can screw in from either side... try removing the filters and turning the carousel over? You never know... maybe it's upside down so the contact aren't contacting :)

As you've named FLO in the description, have you given them the chance to replace / sort out ?

Ant

Hi Ant,

The carousel does appear to be seated correctly as far as I can tell. The wheel does indeed turn around and removing the filters doesn't help as it was like this from new.

As for FLO, I haven't contacted them yet. I know they'll sort it if there's a problem, but I want to check with the community first to see if this filter wheel behaviour is normal or not or simply operator error or something that I can resolve myself.

All the best,

Mike

Evenin' Aunty FLO,

I was hoping not to need a replacement :) I've got a (prompt!) email reply from Terry with some questions that I need to get back to him on. I'll let you know what happens and as Hugh says, top service indeed.

From one small business owner to another, I tip my hat to you - FLO's service is exceptional.

All the best,

Mike

Archived