Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Today it occured to me that a slow 'scope is easier to focus because of the bigger range of focus travel where the image is in focus (depth of focus), so it seems entirely reasonable to have the focuser on the slow end of the Barlow lens if you are using one. Is there a device out there which adds a focuser between the barlow lens and the EP / camera? This ought to make focusing much easier when trying to zap a planet or whatever, and could help if you are blessed with a notchy R&P focuser.

Captain Chaos

Do you know if the camera, sorry eyepiece, end rotates as you turn the focuser with the Borg doodah Phil? Or anybody else?

Been scratching my head looking at a slide copier SLR attachment just now. That has a ring which turns to vary the magnification by moving a lens system back and forth in a tube. The tube stays where it is, just the lens bit slides, so that kind of thing would work well. I think that moving the Barlow lens within the barlow assembly would do the job admirably, and the travel needn't be very much at all. It's got to need batteries though, just to make it worth playing with. :D

Captain Chaos

Seems that these focusers are threaded at the front and they do an adaptor

to screw on the end which then means the whole thing can push in like an eyepice.

Ideal for sticking into the barlow...

Food for thought :)

... a slow 'scope is easier to focus because of the bigger range of focus travel where the image is in focus (depth of focus)

Yes, but the fast scope has the effect of 'snapping' into focus in a nice definitive way :)

Archived