SkyMaster 15x70 problems Help!

Hi,

I decided to get started with astronomy and purchased "new" Skymaster 15x70 binoculars from Amazon UK. unfortunately instead of spending time observing the stars I am now stuck returning and getting replacements for these binos.

The first pair came well collimated but with broken adjustment rings on the left scope so back it went. The second pair came with the left scope unscrewed from the body! So back it went. On my third pair now and it is out of collimation (clear vertical displacement).

After spending a day reading about collimation I tried it and was able to reasonable tilt the prisms to get a merged image with 3/4 turn of the screw on one eyepiece. Still not very comfortable to view though. Also when I look from the objective end of the device, I see a small 1/4 circle smudge/glass chip in the circular optical path in the left scope. The smudge is in the corner and when viewing from the eyepieces is not visible. Is this a problem that would warrant this third pair going back?

Anyway I love the size and view from these binos and would like to own a good pair. But it seems that the manufacturer does not collimate them at all? Is there a seller in the UK who is actually qualified enough to fix and sell these. Amazon clearly aren't!

where in the country are you? tbh is might not be cost effective to get cheap bins collimated. Not sure if they check each pair (I suspect not) but First Light Optics will usually replace any that you have a problem with (that you buy from them).

And I'm sure they'll give them a quick over for you before shipping.

the celestrons if i remember do have a lifetime collimation warrenty.... (from what i remember)

althrough if u do get the problem it may be better just getting a refund, and get a pair of these instead

they are "identical" to the skywatcher 15X70s (i have the skywatcher and bought a paif of these for a mate) only difference is that they dont come with a tripod bracket but FLO to sell a resonably priced one (as do TH) TH checked mine for me before it was sent and it was very well packaged

Revelation 15x70 Binocular Special Offer

Hi,

I've got Revelation 15x70's which I believe are the same as the ones you have but just badged differently. I got these delivered by Telescope House (see link below). As others have mentioned it probably isn't worth trying to get the ones you have collimated as it will cost as much as buying a new pair. I would return the ones you have and get a refund, then buy from elsewhere.

Revelation 15x70 Binocular Special Offer

we must av been we posted it dead at 11:08 :icon_salut:

from what the reviews say they are made on the same production line in china somewhere, and for the price of them you cant go wrong. i try to avoid amazon for "big" objects as u are prone to not much packaging and the royalmail

I got mine from Amazon.co.uk 'cause FLO didn't ship them to Portugal.

They came alright. In your case I would return them again 'till you a copy working properly, or ask for a refund and get them from a specialized store that will check them before sending.

Thanks Guys,

I'm going to return the amazon pair. Thankfully amazon have excellent returns and will refund me promptly.

I'm looking at another company who have promised to check the celestrons for me before sending them. They are cheaper than the TH Revelations. But if that does not work out I'll go with the revelations from TH has you suggested. Will keep you posted.

Hi Everyone,

Quick update. Amazon pair returned and refund received. Also ordered new pair from MyBinoculars UK. I requested they check the pair before sending out and I received it in good order. It seems like new stock as the box says "lifetime warranty" instead of 10 year and the binoculars feel lighter. Collimation is good and exit pupils round. But the skies are cloudy. Hoping to get some good views soon...

yay!!

Archived