Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Beginner - spec me some EP's please?

kirkster501

I want to get two or three ready for my F10 CPC925 when I buy it in a month or so. Its a 1.25 focuser. I hear the supplied 40mm EP is a bit crappy.

Don't want to spend the earth after just shelling out nigh on £2k for the scope. But want them to do the scope justice for a year or so. I was looking at the Meade 4 K series.....?

Also the Revelation EP kit gets good reviews. I could get one of those kits to get me going and then add to tthis kit with "serious" eyepieces in due course...?

A big initial expense to get off the ground as a beginnner with power, scope, scope case and Ep's so not beign a cheap skate.

What do you think guys?

Steve

At 2350mm focal length all you need for 200x is 11mm eyepiece.

With that in mind how about the following:

One that is much recommended is the BST explorers. They come in 5mm, 8mm, 12mm, 15mm, 18mm and 25mm. Start collecting the set at £41 each, quite reasonable. Say 12mm and 18mm now, add others as wanted. The 5mm may just be too much at 470x, the 8mm will give 293x.

Could start collecting all the TV plossl's, one by one. Drawback is they are £80-100 a piece. Even second hand ones are more then the BST's.are new.

What is "missing" is a wide field eyepiece. Perhaps a 32mm at some time. Problem with a wide field is the focal length of the scope, you will always get high magnifications so smaller fields of view.

Alternatives are something like the William Optics SWANS, 3 in that set and ~£60 each I think.

Don't think you will go wrong with the BST's. However as posted elsewhere eyepieces are a personel thing, could get one and try, if just one then I would try the 12mm first, 195x.

You just spent £2K on the scope, don't waste it by using poor eyepiece (I'm not talking about the Revalations, just a warning against those cheap ep on Evilbay). I second the Hyperion. You don't need the whole set, just get one at a time.

Or may be get the Hyperion Click-stop zoom, similar price to a Meade 4000 eyepiece set, but more convenient, greater eye relief, and wider FOV.

You will be surprise how well some zoom eyepiece perform.

The baader zoom is only a little more expensive than the ep kit but is alltogether a much better proposition - much much higher quality than any of the eyepiece kits. The 40mm wide angle ep that comes with the CPC range, whilst maybe not a Televue, is nonetheless still a very good eye piece. The meade 4000 series are good eyepieces too. Buy second hand eyepieces and you'll get far more than you would get retail. Consider binoviewers for your Sct also - they're awesome - and the WO offering is excellent value :icon_salut:

Archived