Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is it easy to create a permanent pier?

evilgeenius

Hello All

I am thinking about creating my own permanent pier at the back of my house.

Now im not really sure where to start with this or what the best solution is. I've seen concrete and wooden based piers. Ideally I want a very cheap solution, oh and an easy to make/build solution as Im no DIY expert :-)

Currently I have a celestron CPC925 scope that I plan to get a wedge for.

Does anyone know of any decent instructions that exist that could help me? After I've finished writing this post ill be searching through google to find some, but I thought I'd just ask on here first.

Cheers

Chris

Probably the cheapest and simplest to make would be to dig a hole and put in a vertical plastic drainpipe. Then refill the hole and the pipe with concrete (remembering to put some fixings in the top to take the mount!). There are various designs around and the Sky at igh mag had details sometime last year - PM mw with an email address and I'll send you a copy of the article.

Another cheap and simple method which involves less physical work is to bolt a couple of hollow concrete building blocks to a concrete building slab. This could be dismantled again in due course if you relocated. Come up to the Astronomy Centre and have a look at one. :icon_salut:

Archived