Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar projector

Vicky

Hiya,

As much as I would like to adapt my Dob for solar viewing I'm not sure I could ever get over the idea of putting my eye to the eyepiece, as safe as it may be- so I'm debating about buying a solar projector of some kind. I saw a cardboard type projector thing at an event a cuople of months ago and wonder if they are any good - would I be able to see a transiting planet in one, say? (or ISS?) I think I'm expecting too much to see more than the largest of sun spots but I still think it might be worth a loo- depending on what they cost :D

Does anyone have one and can give me a mini-review, equally where might I purchase such an item?

Best wishes

Vicky

Hi Vicky,

I've got one which I bought for the Venus Transit a few year ago (that was before I had a solar scope). Its a neat little device that is perfect for such events as transits, partial or total eclipses etc, particularly for group viewing as there is no complication of individual focussing or tracking needed. We had a partial solar eclipse party a couple of years ago and people actually used the projector more than the PST! I'm not sure how it works for sunspot detail as the last time I used we were very much at solar minimum. I could give it a try today for you if that would be helpful (assuming I can remember where I've stored it!!).

Helen

I did a little write up of my own experience with one of these a while back, they work really well. Sure the detail will never be as good as viewing with a filter but I still use this as a quick way to check the sun.

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/118156-astromedia-solar-projector-kit.html

Maybe don't purchase it where I got mine from as the instructions came in German, there is a UK astromedia retailer.

Can you use the dob for solar projection somewhat like this. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Home_made_dobsonian_user_to_make_a_solar_projection_(Split,_Croatia).jpg

Still the kits are enjoyable to make and highly portable.

Lol yeah, it was fun surprisingly enough. Reading back over that thread makes me want to have another go at a different project from them. I don't know what other brands are like but this definitely had the feel of creating a model car or plane and a sense of achievement at the end.

Plus I like the black and gold look of the astromedia products, some others are a bit naff looking.

Hopefully you get the English instructions. :icon_salut:

Archived