Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help me Rhonda!

hellothere123

I have the Celestron 6SE with 25mm Plossl eyepiece

I want a closer view of the moons craters and of jupiter...so I was thinkin a 10mm, was suggested to get the Baader Hyperion 10mm for $150.00

I want to spend about $200 - $250 bucks and I only stargaze without photography.

For $200 I'd like:

a stronger mag lense

barlow?(2x or 3x?) or just more lenses?

sun filter - (can you buy one for objective lense?)

moon filter

night pollution filter -(worth buying? in city of 10,000)

Help me !

I've heard the Celestron 1.25" eyepiece kit is kinda crud!

Problem of recommending anything is the availability of them in Canada.

So: Without knowing the cost what about the TV plossl's? Will work fine in your scope, just a plossl field of view but good for what you want. If I recall they come in 8mm, 11mm, 15mm, 20mm and longer

The 11mm would be good and I suspect the 8mm would give more magnification and be OK.

Many here suggest the BST Explorers from Skys the Limit at £41 that means ~C$60. They have a 60 degree view. I was wondering if Alan would post to Canada. Might be worth an email asking. They come in 5mm, 8mm, 12mm, 15mm. The 8mm and the 12mm being the most suitable I would say.

I have some (3) Antares W70's from the telescope store in Vancouver. Good, but the BST's are better.

The Meade 5000 super plossl's are good quality and are being sold off quite cheaply on many web sites as Meade have just launched th 60-HD range which may end up replacing them. The Meade super plossl range are coming in at between fifty and ninety pounds currently which is a bargain as they're brilliant EP's. They have a good 60 degree FOV. They range between 5.5mm and 32mm. I think as a good set the 9mm, 14mm and 26mm would have you sorted for most occasions.

I have a few Meade EP's, and am very happy with them. They're not quite as top notch as TV EP's but they're not far off and they're not anywhere near as expensive.

:D

You mentioned an eyepiece sun filter. Do not ever, ever use one of these, especially with a SCT or MAK. they are dangerous and can cause permanent eye damage if they crack.

Peter

Excellent advice. I thought they'd been outlawed or banned from sale a while ago.

Archived