Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Messier List Help

I have looked at quite a few Messier lists on SGL and curtesy of Google. None of them quite fitted what i wanted so i have used ideas from others and created my own, nothing fancy just an excel spread sheet with the bits i wanted on.

One question that is probably going to sound quite daft but i need to be sure:

If the position of an object was given that would have to be for a specific place at a specific time and date? Position given as RA, Deg and Sec.

RA and Dec positions do not change. (well they do for the planets over time but not in terms of deeps sky like the M list) the RA and dec grid is fixed in the sky and we rotate within it.

The Alt/Az grid is rotating with us so an objects grid given in Alt/Az will change constantly.

I think this is what you are asking....sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick

Nova,

You are bang on. I got the 2 confused. What i need to remember is that RA and Dec are the equivalent of Lat/Long. Whereas Alt/Az is more like a heading and altitude. (these analogies make sense to me as im an air traffic controller)

Its not perfect and its not the greatest piece of work ever created but it does the job for me.

<Uploaded file should have appeared here>

The uploader says it is an invalid file. Any ideas?

Its an excel 2007 spreadsheet

Archived