Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Auto...Errr...Guiding

Hi peeps, I am brand new to the 'black art' and am befuddled. I have just received a SX Lodestar and have a few questions for those in the know.

Firstly my kit: NEQ6 with handset connected to RS232, I use the handset for alignment. PC to USB to serial adapter to serial to RJ11 on the controller.

PC is friends with the mount via ASCOM/EQDir (only works in PC direct mode though)

Finally SX Lodestar connected via USB to the PC, also guide cable from the camera to the auto guider port on the mount.

In PHD the mount option has 'EQ6/ASCOM' option or 'On camera' which should I use?

If I choose 'On camera' does this remove the need for the ASCOM platform, so should I remove the PC to Mount connection?

If I choose the 'EQ6/ASCOM' option should I then remove the cable from camera to auto guider port?

Have I got too much connected?

I am well confused :)

Please help!

The easiest way to start is to connect the Lodestar ST-4 cable to the ST-4 port on the mount. You then use the "on camera" setting within PHD. You can use with the normal handcontroller ie no computer connection...

If you want to use a planetarium program to assist with GOTO, then you can use the serial upgrade cable between the PC and the handcontroller (NO PC Direct, no EQdir/EQMOD) and allow Cartes du Ciel etc to control the mount.

The mount selection is "Celestron" then under preferences select "Skywatcher EQ" - that's it!

HTH

As an alternative, if you like using EQMod then you can continue to do so but still select 'on camera' and use the ST4 cable and port for guiding.

I would always recommend starting with the ST4 cable first and then consider moving on to pulse guiding via EQMod - not because EQMod is any more unreliable, (it isn't) but because it removes one layer of software complexity from the equation. Mind you, it could be argued that it adds a layer of electro-mechanical complexity but I digress!

Archived