NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Outdoor Scope storage

Hi,

I am considering buying one of those upright plsstic garden tool stores, for around £80, for keeping my Scope and other equipment in the garden, my wife is getting fed up with dusting round it in the conservatory.

Has anyone else tried this? Does anyone have any ideas and advice on this?

Clear skies

I'm new to all of this also, but from reading post's on the forum most people seem to put the scope outside a few hours before use. I keep ours in the shed so it can come out and be used straight away as it's roughly at the same temp as outside.

I also keep my scope in the shed, the main advantage except freeing up space in the house is there is virtually no cool down time which means you can start observing straight away. As long as the shed/tool store is water proof and has some ventilation you shouldn't have any issues and a lot less earache!! :)

Lastly just check your house insurance covers items left in your shed/tool store. :(

I did consider the same but currently mine is plonked in the middle of the garden, levelled and polar aligned ready to go. I just cover it with a good quality, but light tarpaulin (actually it's a bnq BBQ cover I had spare which actually works well will all the weird angles). This will be trialled throughout the winter and if successful I may throw a pier in. It has made my viewing time so much easier, as soon as there is a clear sky, or break in the cloud, I can now shoot out and gaze away.

Hope this helps

What about the extremities of the harsh winter weather? Can equipment be effected if left outside (albeit covered)? It may sound silly but I would be too worried about leaving my refractor in the garage, especially as a lot of spiders and bugs live there and might find a way into the scope. I would also be concerned about metal parts becoming rusted.

I have a wooden shed / observatory. All my kit stayed out last winter down -17C. The only heating as such was me keeping the power on some electronics to discourage condensation on boards and connectors. While idling it consumes only a few watts so it is minimal heating. Metal corrosion is discouraged by correct materials and a bit of very light oil/grease/WD40. By keeping kit properly wrapped up or boxed, you don't have much trouble with bugs or dust getting into kit. Perhaps by allowing a couple of very large spiders to live in corners, I have pest control for other bugs?

Cheers guys,

I think I'll have a look at the wooden option as suggetsted however I don:t like the idea of big spiders in the dark :) . lol

I'm on a tight budget so will have to maybe firnd one secondhand or really cheap locally.

Thought I could build a red light in to it and a shelf that can also be used as a table for books, planisphere etc.

Clear skies.

Archived