Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Info on PHD Settings

Over on the Stark-Labs-Astronomy-Software Yahoo! group there have been some interesting(!?) discussions on the interpretation of the PHD graphs and the role of some of the settings.....

With PHD up and running, under the "Help" menu select "Contents", then "PHD Guiding" - "Use" - "Advanced" will give you the rundown on all of the parameters.

Please read the Wiki completely:

tutorials:phd:faq [stark Labs Astrophotography Software]

HTH

That was good read, thanks Merlin.

I think that one question has got wrong answer:

Q) I have an HEQ5-Pro mount, and would like to experiment with autoguiding. Can I use PHD, and simply control the mount by using the mount’s serial-handset cable?

Answer is no, however I am autoguiding using my handset as a connection between mount and laptop

yes, I am.

answer to a question states:

your handset doesn’t support pulse guiding so no, you can’t do that.

well, I might be not getting it right or wording used is not fully correct, but I think answer might be missleading as in PC Direct Mode I do pulse guiiding via EQMOD.

Ken, just a question raised by my reading that I can't quite work out.

PHD calibration - If I calibrate with DEC switched off, I will see my stars drift either up or down. If they drift North for example, do I switch North on or off in the DEC mode?

What I am doing is let PHD calibrate both in RA and DEC (in Auto Mode) and than I am watching what DEC correction commands PHD is sending to mount. If its only North than I am stopping PHD, change mode to North Only. This way I am sure that I have chosen correct method. remember to give PHD enough time to settle, as many times PHD was doing South correction at the beginning and then after minute of so proper drift kicked in in North direction.

Archived