Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

QHY5v Mono or Colour?

Astroblagger

Hello looking for some advice about which qhy5v to buy? i plan to use it prodomantly for guiding (through a finderscope) and also planetary/lunar imaging cam, as i feel i have reached the limits of the spc900, would i achieve better images using mono and getting a filter wheel and doing rgb imaging? or will the colour cam be better. or does it matter whether its mono or colour for guiding? Any help appreciated:confused:

Color CMOS sensors used in QHY5* cams loose some QE versus their mono versions. That's important for guiding and also for planetary imaging (as mono will let you use slightly lower gain - less noise). You can also start with mono-only planetary imaging with mono QHY5* by using infrared-passing filter (limits seeing) like visual red/orange (Baader, GSO/Revelation, Lumicon) filter or deeper IR Astronomik Pro Planet 742 :)

Archived