NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Wh00t

Big thanks to Rory for tipping me off about a cheap copy of Turn Left at Orion on the Bay - used it tonight to find M31 with my 102 Star Travel by star hopping!

Not initially, but could not get a decent alignment this evening (think that the cold is killing my Ni-Hm batteries) so stepped down the motor speed and with Turn Left got closer and closer until BINGO there it was in the finderscope and an even bigger faint smudge in the scope!

Spent a while just enjoying the view, the cold wind got to me in the end, but well pleased,

Chris

Its a great book in any format. It really is a "road" map to the delights of the night sky.

Just a little extra info on the book: a couple of days ago Dan Davis (one of the authors) posted a comment here on SGL saying that the latest version (the 4th) of the book due on sale soon is more concentrated on Dob owners.

Congrats Cjg :)

Now you know where it is you will be able to see it maked eye on a dark clear night :)

Thats the great thing about finding such objects in a scope. Once you find them you are always able to glance up at the night sky (clouds permitting) and say "There it is".

M31..........stands out as obvious to me now as M42 or M45 in the night sky (with the naked eye).

Thanks, yes I "get" the idea of finding the faint dso's without the use of goto, and the sense of achievement - but still love my tech for when time is short. My copy of Turn left was just under £8, but with tables extended until 2006! That said the directions to find stuff still work.

Chris

Archived