Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ6 Questions

peonic

When I grow up, I'd like to be able to make pretty pictures, like what you guys do! :D

With this in mind, with my first major scope purchase, I'm aiming to get a setup that I can future proof as much as possible.

My current plan is to go for a Skywatcher Explorer 250PX on an EQ6 Pro Synscan mount.

My question is with regards to how much weight the EQ6 will take - would I be OK to later add an ED80 for widefield imaging to this mount, or would that be adding too much for the motors/mount to handle successfully for imaging. Also - how would I go about actually attaching the second scope to the first? If this EQ6 can handle this much weight, would I be able to use one scope as a guidescope, and one for imaging - and would this require them to be 'connected' any differently?

Cheers,

Peonic.

Peonic

The short answer is Yes!

The EQ6 will take up to about 25KGS payload, so a 10" + ED80 is fine. I have this exact setup (well, except for the Pro Synscan!)

As to mounting the two, the usual method is to piggy-back the ED80 by a bar that sits on the tube rings. The 80 then sits on this bar with guide-scope rings. These are adjustable so you can lock onto a star that's not on the main scope FOV.

Alternately, you could mount them side by side - its your choice really.

Archived