Beginner's scope for the father

Hello there folks. The father has long been interested in all things cosmic and could often be found in the back garden gazing skyward. The family and I thought it was about time he had some proper optics so I've come here looking for some educated advice on telescopes. What might be a good choice for £3-400?

Much love, SoG

Hi SoG and welcome to SGL :D

Take a look at some of the Skywatcher offerings in that price range - dobsonians represent the biggest bang "for the buck" as a rough guide. Just click the link for FLO at the top of any page for an easy to access list ;)

A cheshire collimator, and a good sky atlas are good accessories to have. The book "turn left at orion" gets great reviews for showing where to find the interesting stuff. :D

Not sure what the finder is like on a 200p, but maybe consider a telrad or red dot finder too, but thats further down the line, see how you get on with the supplied finder first.

Besides the scope you will want, or eventually want, 2 additional eyepieces, and a collimator. Collimator if it is a newtonian.

Suggest that you take him to look at a 200P dobsonian first, you might look at one and think it is fine, he might look at one and think that it a bit big and heavy.

A scope that is sat inside owing to its size isn't must use, although 200mm isn't big. There is a nice post somewhere asking if everyone gets back ache from observing. A Dobsonian scope means bending over and if he is 57 then it needs to be considered.

Read a few posts of what scope for XXX for a birthday? Still think that asking the person themselves is a good start. Maybe get a few ideas but a scope isn't something that can be stood somewhere and looked at as an orniment.

observing through a dob would not be an issue. infact youd have more issue with alot of refractors when looking high up,as i know. i spend alot of time on the floor ,head almost in the flower bed ! this wont happen with a dob.

Just about everything mean some form of bending, it is the degree of bending that is the question.

A decent goto means that you straighten up, dial in the new object and let the scope wander off and point to the next thing. Then bend over again.

With a Dobsonian as you are locating everything yourself you are probably bent over the most. Seems that you are bent over to move the scope, bent over to get it in the finder then bent over to view through the main scope. That's going to cause an outcry.

There is an observatory near me and the "observing chair" is a very weird contraption, but it does the job required.

Sorry but there is nothing clear cut in this hobby.

Here are the vital statistics for the 200p. The eyepiece will range from 85cm to 117cm depending on the orientation of the scope, most likely at the higher end of that scale most of the time since you'd rarely view anything on or near the horizon.

That's a perfectly reasonable height for seated viewing.

Edit - forgot to add the link lol

Welcome to the SGL phenomena SoG.

I just want to congratulate you and your family for arriving at the decision to buy your Dad such a thoughtful gift.

An 8" reflector is no toy, and your father will love it, and I'm sure he will be fascinated by the views this scope will deliver.

Just as an aside, winter months can be awfully cold, so make sure when he heads out into the garden to enjoy a nights observing, he is well clothed. Many layers rather than one heavy one, and good thermal socks,a warm woolly hat and fingerless gloves. A hot drink in a flask, but no alcohol :).

Ron.

Archived