Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Filter confusion

Quatermass

I'm struggling to understand filters for my new second hand canon 350D its unmodded and the cost of putting in a filter that allows the camera to bring out the red in nebula is what about 200 quid.

Q:Is there a cheaper alternative a filter that you screw into the t adapter or something like that I dont really want to mod the camera as I would like to use it for day time use as well.

Got my t ring and adapter today and tonight is clear so I'm going to have fun getting used to it and practice on the moon to start with but ultimatly I want to use it for deep sky objects and think a filter is going to be a must have sooner or later.. :D

The problem is, on the sensor of the camera, there is an IR filter blocking the IR light wich you normally want to let through for deep sky, and therefore it needs to be removed. Just addin other filters in front of the filetr on the sensor will still not let the IR light through,

So only way is to "mod" the camera, meaning only to remove the IR filter from the sensor, and keep the rest as it is.

Then, for normal daytime use, you Could still use it i guess, by simply adding an IR filter on the lens you're using, but i haven't tried this myself, so i don't know how well it works though.

Correct me if i'm wrong :D

Hey, you can still get nice nebula images without going to the expense of modding the camera. Not intending to brag at all, but this one of the centre of the Rosette nebula was taken with my unmodded 450d, and I think it shows up a fair bit of nebulosity.

lukebl-albums-luke-s-help-images-picture9507-rosette-nebula2a.jpg

Archived