Celestron Omni XLT 120mm Refractor Telescope

In the specifications, it says this;

OPTICAL DESIGN: Refractor

APERTURE: 120 mm

FOCAL LENGTH: 1000 mm

FOCAL RATIO: 8.33

EYEPIECE 1: 25 mm

MAGNIFICATION 1: 40 x

Does this effectively mean I will get the one eyepiece with the setup and need to purchase additional eyepieces if I want to change the magnification?

Thanks

Craig

Hi Craig,

Yes, it means that only one eyepiece comes with it.

Generally speaking, eyepieces that come with scope packages are not that good, although this 25mm might be ok (but not brilliant). It will certainly get you going though.

At some point it would be worth investing in a decent set of eyepieces, or just buy one one decent eyepiece every so often depending on budget. The eyepieces that you like will stay with you for life, the scope may not!

All the decent retailers have an eyepiece section on their websites.

A quote from the website: "25mm multi-coated eyepiece - 20mm eye relief, 50o FOV"

So yes, you would recieve a 25mm Multi-Coated eyepiece, probably a Plossl or a Modified Achromat. It would be reccommended to buy an eyepiece around the 10mm mark, which would give you roughly 100x magnification, and maybe a 32mm eyepiece, which would give you about 31x magnification.

Clear Skies!

Luke

Indeed it does.

I would budget for a good planetary eyepiece and a 2x Barlow lens.

If you choose say a 15mm Meade 4000 Plossl at £29.99 and a Meade Short focus 2x Barlow at £29.99 you will get following combinations.

25mm = 40x

25mm + Barlow = 80x

15mm = 67x

15mm + Barlow = 134x

Alternatively you could spend £50 on a good 5mm Plossl which would give you 200x which your scope is capable of but you would have less options in focal length.

If ordered from Harrisons I would ask them to do a deal for the lot.

Alternatively there are often many good second-hand EP's on the forum for sale but you will need a months membership and 50 posts to view them

Paul

Archived