Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2" Nosepiece wobbly...

MikeWilson

Well not completely wobbly but enough to cause a little bit of droop to set in. this flattener is held in place by the compression ring only.

(I'm trying to troubleshoot why my images aren't flat).

I reckon a 4mm metal parfocal type ring around this nosepiece will hold it flat against the focuser.

Does anyone know where I can find something that might do the job, or alternatively a different nose piece for the Televue TRF-2008?

4e56c104-6f62-7235.jpg

4e56c104-6f83-41ad.jpg

Any ideas are warmly welcomed!

Mike

Sent from my mobile using TapaTalk (so please excuse bad grammar & spelling!) :-)

When I see a brass compression ring I tear it out with needle pliers and hurl it into the wilderness. And that includes my all-Takahashi setup which still wasn't compatible with itself! The rig distorted and refused to release the nosepiece. As Billy says, the most common problem is the compression ring mis-matching the undercut.

I ought to stress that this vandalistic attitude applies only to my own kit and not to that of other people!! Your compression rings are safe, gentles all...

Olly

I never rely on the fittings holding anything square to the optical axis -been there done that...Now I use a separate support bar/ frame to hold everything. May appear overkill - but how many nights do you want to waste??

post-15261-133877677597_thumb.jpg

post-15261-133877677601_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your input Hugh, Olly, Ken.

I am staggered by what Ken's made. That's impressive work there! It also goes to show what a terrible terrible connection the compression ring is. I can't possibly hope for a perfectly orthogonal fit with one in place.

Having said that, the Baader Clickzoom nosepiece does fit all the way into the focuser and the ring holds it *** and square, so it can be done. Just not by this particular Televue and focuser. It's a shame that there's no screw fitting (although this focuser is threaded...).

Hugh, I did check AstroBoot but I wasn't sure if they'll do the job - They might be too small. Still, if I can get two par focal rings, I may be able to get close enough to filling the 4mm gap. I've ordered one for now, just to see.

Thanks again,

Mike

Olly,

It looks far more substantial than it really is....a length of 50 x 50 x 3 aluminium sq tube fixed to the ADM minirail with the clamp and a series of 35 x 35 x 3 aluminium angles bolted to the camera/ spectroscope end...next time I take it off I'll weigh it but I think no more than 350-400gms.

I set up the spectroscope square to the ATO - spirit levels and vernier (you only do this once -right? (See below!)) and then measured the required off-sets to allow me to use a 1/4" clamp bolt (ex the Skywatcher) to quickly fix and release the instrument. Measure three times and cut once!

Works 100% I can now focus the target star onto the 20micron slit and swing the scope anywhere around the sky knowing that nothing will shift.

** I've just upgraded to a C11 and had to re-measure and re-adapt the support bar - as luck would have it (no kidding!) all it took was a 18mm spacer!

I should also mention my mate Marco from Gorgonzola, Italy. He found this absolutely fantastic matt black paint - designed to touch up aluminium window frames (TALKEN Color - ANODAL: #9071, Anodizzato Nero) This stuff needs no primer when applied to aluminium and honestly (as you can see) gives a perfect result which looks like anodizing everytime. Magic stuff - highly recommended.

HTH

4e56c104-4fcf-53cd.jpg

4e56c104-4ff8-4c32.jpg

I ordered an AC573 Astro Engineering par focal ring on chance that it might fit.

It's exactly 4mm thick - perfect for the TRf2008.

:-)

This will help reduce droop.

Sent from my mobile using TapaTalk (so please excuse bad grammar & spelling!) :-)

Archived