Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bias frames, how many?

Vega

Until the experts correct me I've assumed it's just a statistical thing - the more the better but the returns diminish as the number of frames grows. As they're virtually instant subs for me it's no big deal to rattle of 80-100 - that may not be applicable in other setups.

James

If your using DSS you can speed things up by using the Master Offset tiff for subsequent images..

Bias can change with time so they should be refreshed periodically...

DSS will need at least one light to "stack" before it will go on to produce the master's I often copy one of the bias files and use it for the dummy light... I do the same for Darks, flats etc...

I use ImagesPlus but I think the same rule applies... I'll need to create my MasterBias frame with a light frame. I've recently acuired a new modded DSLR so I'll be doing plenty of experimenting to make my MasterBias with ;-)

Thanks for reminding me

:-)

Yup. About 80-100 as they are so quick to take.

Why would you need to re-take every 6 months? Will the bias signal in the camera chip change over time?

Yes, I think it probably will. I've read, also, that simply changing cables or USB connections can change the bias, too.

Like a good few others I use bias frames only as darks-for-flats and for no other purpose. I shoot them when I've finished the flats since it takes so little time. Minimum of fifty, I'd say.

Olly

Just processed 80 bias frames in ImagesPlus and there was no need for a light frame. Just used the bias frame tab in automatic image set processing and it converted them, did a whole load of checks and created a masterbias.. great stuff... but to be expected for the price of the software!

Cheers

I don't take more than 20 but that's just me! I do refresh them a couple of times a year though as the sensor 'ages' and any change in the cabling should be considered as good cause for a refresh - at the end of the day, a BIAS frame is a representation of the readout noise so any changes in the sensor or the means of downloading should be compensated for.

Archived