Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first look at M42

blackparticle

The clouds were threatening rain so I packed everything away only to be presented with the clearest skies I've ever had. The stars were barely twinkling the seeing was that good.

So I grabbed the 130P and searched around for a spot where I could get a look at Orion.

With a Celestron Omni 40mm the nebula was visible but nothing spectacular. Increasing the magnification and switching to the SW 9mm that came with the Mak150 really enhanced the contrast and gave me the best view of a faint fuzzy I've ever seen with my own scopes.

The nebula itself, while devoid of any colour, showed good clarity and wispiness. The 4 small stars at the center were easily distinguishable as well as the outline of the dark dust cloud at the core.

I spent a good hour just staring at it, tracing the outlines and taking it all in. I can only imagine what this would look like in a big scope and it must be the first time I've been glad that the threat of rain made me pack everything else away. :)

Archived