Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AC/DC 6 volt Adapter

I have been looking at the above adapters to possibly power my EQ5 from the mains via an extension lead. There are various choices each with different MA ratings. Does anyone know which MA rating to go for? I see the standard Duracell batteries have MN1300 LR 20 printed on them. Am i correct in saying i would need a 1300 MA rated adaptor?

Thanks

Damo have you not thought of using one of these? 13.8V Regulated Mains Power Units : Bench Power Supplies : Maplin as long as you use some cable from FLO such as this First Light Optics - SkyTron Power Supply Cable for Skywatcher & Celestron Mounts you should be fine, be aware though if the run is long the voltage drop may affect the performance.

I use the same kit to power my 925

The EQ5 with basic motor drive is 6v. The mA you refer to is milliamps (1/1000 amp). If your motors require 1 Amp to track then you need 1000mA available from the supply, for 2 Amps you need 2000mA.

I think the EQ5 uses around 2000mA if you are fast slewing both axis simultaneously and less than 1000 mA for single (RA) axis tracking. So a 2000mA supply will be OK (3000mA may be better as it has some in reserve). The motors will only draw the current they need from the supply, not the maximum available.

Sorry Damo! It's lucky Bizi posted as I had forgotten the duel motors have several slew speeds to choose from. As Bizi so rightly points out though the motors are direct current as so only draw power as needed. The voltage is the important one to right. This said it is still advisable to have some form of in line fuse in case the motors were to become overloaded. OTA hitting the mount and so forth.

Just in case you haven't seen the reply to your question on my 'for sale' thread I got the adapter from AstroBoot it was a while ago but if you have a rumage you might find one too. :)

Am i correct in saying i would need a 1300 MA rated adaptor?

The adapter that I am selling with my 200P is 1300MA I believe and has worked fine with my dual axis motors.

Cheers

Archived