NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

gotta goto but still cant goto.

bibbsy

have just had the HEQ5 goto mount arrive but ive had a doh moment,i forgot to order a power tank,dont have any cables to run it off the home power supply either,so goto wont goto until i can scrape some cash together :( first thing i noticed once put together was just how heavy this beast is,ive got used to just grabbing the dob on its base and walking out into the garden and straight away viewing,once i can get this new mount up and running its going to take a bit more time taking it out and bringing it back in again,that pod is now screaming at me to buy it so as to leave the gear set up all the time,come on lotto numbers this week :)

have just had the HEQ5 goto mount arrive but ive had a doh moment,i forgot to order a power tank,dont have any cables to run it off the home power supply either,so goto wont goto until i can scrape some cash together :( first thing i noticed once put together was just how heavy this beast is,ive got used to just grabbing the dob on its base and walking out into the garden and straight away viewing,once i can get this new mount up and running its going to take a bit more time taking it out and bringing it back in again,that pod is now screaming at me to buy it so as to leave the gear set up all the time,come on lotto numbers this week :)

The Maplin 3-in-1 jumpstarters work well as powertanks (basically the same thing). I have a couple and one will run my GoTo mount all night long with no problems... Currently on offer at a penny under £20. Bargain!

Ian

Because of the heads up on this and another thread I decided to get one of these Maplin 3 in 1 jump starters as well. Compared to my Celestron power Tank, this thing is light as a feather. The construction is very flimsy indeed. The square green on/off button is so crooked it looks like more of a diamond shape lol. Anyway, as long as it does the job then that's fine and it was cheap enough at 20 quid. Can't test it yet because it says to charge it first for 20 hours before use. Lets see how long this cheapie lasts me.

It's got a 17Ah battery in the back of it which is the important bit.

Only one 12v power outlet so you miss extra sockets and the multiple voltages available on some of the powertanks but I don't think you can beat these in terms of value for money. And to be honest the build quality on my two are fine for me.

My Celestron Power Tank has an 800,000 candlepower SPOTLIGHT on the front of it. Now WHO needs one of those things at a STAR PARTY ? ? ?

Well, it's there for all sorts of reasons. The spotlight could come in handy to see in the dark in the event of a car breakdown for example. The radio on it would keep you company and the siren and flashing red light could be used as a distress signal. Star Party or not, even if you are travelling along a country lane to a dark site it's nice to have those little extras. I've used the spotlight on many occasion when I'm clearing up at the end of a session.

Archived