Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AR5 5" Achromat refractor and Saturn last night

DaveGibbons

Hi All, I had a go at Saturn with my ar5 5" refractor. The seeing was not good and nothing under mag 3 could be seen hence the dimness of the images. Achromats are not used that often for imaging but at f9.3 chromatic abberation is not that bad. The objective was also slightly out of collimation after I fitted a new focusser although I have corrected that today as it has a collimatable cell.

2X barlow and webcam at F18.6

image.jpg

I know it's a bit dim but as I said visibility was very poor!

cheers

Dave

Gordon, I like a challenge! No it's all I have, the c9.25 has moved on to a nice new home - great scope but I needed the cash for something else . I just wanted to show that you don't need a large aperture, or an apo refractor to image the planets. I bought the OTA for very little cash 2nd hand, although I have changed the focusser(a tale to tell in another post about that one). Some of the cash will be going towards a PST , after viewing through one for the first time last week , it was rather good.

Dave

Archived