Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

telescope cleaning...

Hi SMT1988,

Would echo advice above the baader cleaning kit is c£15 which includes cloths, any screws removed mark with a bit of tippex and do not overtighten on the way back in.

It would probably cost more than the scope to have it done professionally.

Good luck and avoid dust & scratches!!

I have managed to get a finger mark on the secondary of my sw goto dob, whilst farting about with a dew heater, its easy to get to, is the baader wonder fluid the best solution ( ha ha) for this also please?

Errr, I just checked the FLO site and it said this

Note: Baader Optical Wonder is primarily a lens cleaner, it is not suitable for cleaning Newtonian mirrors.

so thats not the answer for me then, having a newtonian !!

Cheers

Wise

I clean everything I have in terms of glass (coated or aluminized) with a mild soap and cotton balls. Very gently, smoothly and with not too much fluid. You can probably use isopropanol as well which I do with sensors. Stick with pure cotton for the optics and dedicated sensor cleaning swabs where applicable.

I have managed to get a finger mark on the secondary of my sw goto dob, whilst farting about with a dew heater, its easy to get to, is the baader wonder fluid the best solution ( ha ha) for this also please?

I rinsed my secondary mirror recently. I didn't want to remove the mirror and then have to reattach it so I removed the entire spider. I was worried about getting water on the glue pad holding the mirror on so I rolled out a bit of blue tack and used it to temporarily seal around the join while holding the sides of the mirror (tricky). I then put washing up liquid on the reflective side and then rinsed it off under the tap while trying not to get too much water round the back. I then rinsed it off with deionised water. Hopefully this would get rid of the print, but if it didn't then I would probably try gently using the pad of a finger to move the washing up liquid around a bit. Opinions on mirror cleaning vary. Depending on where the print is and how bad it is you might be best leaving it for now.

Archived