I really need some advice.

Hello all, i really need some advice please.

I have been stargazing for the past couple of years now with a simple setup that i got many years ago. I now want to take things further and delve into astrophotography especially deep sky objects. I have been looking on the internet for weeks now at different types of scopes and have become mind boggled by the choice and whats best for the job. I have a buget of around £1200.00 can anyone plaese help me in choosing a setup.

I was looking at the Celestron C8 N-GT, NexStar 8 (XLT) SE, Skywatcher Skymax 180 PRO

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

I would recommend against a Celestron mount - the Skywatcher mounts allow greater flexability with regards to control from a PC (have a search on here for EQMod). Also the Skymax pro, whilst being a nice scope is perhaps not the best for deep sky. I would look at an ED80, or perhaps the new Skywatcher Qauttro Newts (Though at F4 they can be tricky to collimate if you have never owned a newt before).

I always say, if you are new to astrophotography then start at the begining - a good mount (HEQ5Pro/EQ6) and a smallish refractor, like an ED80. Get yourself a 2nd hand Canon DSLR and a guide cam such as a QHY5, then you can get an adapter that allows you to guide via your finder scope and image with the ED80/DSLR

Thankyou both for the quick reply,

Sorry i forgot to mention i currently have a Cannon 1000d camera and my intention is to use the computer to control the mount.

How difficult are Newts to collimate its something i've never done. I've been looking at advice on the web and it "seems" to be pretty simple, but is it a difficult task to do?

many thanks

I think Blinky gives some excellent advice. The HEQ5/EQ6 with an ED80/QHY5 is a tried and tested combination. The refractor doesn't need collimating so theres a bonus ! Many people on this forum have an identical setup, me included, so I thought I would chip in with my 2p. The Canon 1000d is exactly what you need to start off as it has the live view function. EQMod is a superb piece of software for mount control, especially when combined with Carte du ciel planetarium softwware. Also have a look at APT for controlling the camera from a laptop as it gives a few extra astro related tools over the standard Canon software.

Thankyou all for the advice, much appreciated.

Looking over the forum and your comments it looks like the ED80 HEQ5 setup is the preffered choice. Just one other question has anyone got any reccomendations as to online stores to purchase from. I have been reading the suppliers reviews section on the forum but find quite a few mixed results. (wrong items been sent etc)

Good advice here on a set up. Regarding purchasing, look no further than FLO (sponsor tab at the top of the page) - They are excellent and helpful. I have also had excellent service from Green Witch - They have just opened a shop in Yorkshire, but continue to do online sales too.

Thankyou both for the quick reply,

Sorry i forgot to mention i currently have a Cannon 1000d camera and my intention is to use the computer to control the mount.

How difficult are Newts to collimate its something i've never done. I've been looking at advice on the web and it "seems" to be pretty simple, but is it a difficult task to do?

many thanks

I am in a similar position to you, although slightly further ahead. I have been a visual observer for a long time and have recently started imaging.

I would say don't worry about collimation of a Newtonian, it really is a simple task and can be done in a couple of minutes once you are used to it. The first time it took me about 10 minutes. Some people like to buy lasers but for me a cheshire is very reliable and accurate.

I have not started guiding yet but my Newtonian and a Canon DSLR give me perfectly round stars for up to 2 mins if I align my mount using the EQmod polar alignment tool. Over 2 mins and they start to trail and get mishapen.

I use a Canon 400D a SW 200P and EQmod to control the mount.

Personally I think the extra money for the Synscan is not worth it when you can use EQmod and CdC / Stellarium to achieve everything you want.

This week I am setting up my guiding using a SPC900 and the finderscope, if the finderscope is no good I will buy an ST80

So far all in all to get my setup to where it is I have spent about £630 as I already had the camera.

200P and HEQ5 Pro 2nd hand - £600

T ring and 2" adapter for my canon £30

stellarium - free

EQmod - free.

The SPC900 plus adapter will set me back around £50

so hopefully with a budget of £680 I will have a fully guided setup running. Worst case I will spend a little more on an ST80 - around £100 max.

Obviously I had some kit already and bought some kit 2nd hand so it isn't that fair a reflection but it just goes to show how cheaply you can get a good photography kit.

My next step will be to sell the Newtonian and buy a frac.

In addition to the research you have already done, it might be helpful to also take a look at Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) as it will provide you with the necessary and important overview on what kit you need and why you need it. Imaging brings with it a steep learning curve that can yield you excellent results but also evenings of frustration:D The golden rule is that imaging starts with the mount and will inevitably mean a decision between either the HEQ5 or the NEQ6. Not only do they offer the best value for money regarding accuracy and payload capabilities but as blinky has mentioned above, the ability to link this with EQMOD software really does help enlarge the mounts capabilities.

Your budget is a good one but by no means generous enough to afford mistakes hence my recommendation of the above book to help get you grounded in the basics that will help reinforce the good advice given above. A lot of focus is placed on data capture which is understandable but don't forget that this is only half of the imaging equation. Processing the captured data forms the other half of generating a great picture and although there is a lot of free software out there, there is also very useful software out there that will need to be paid for. This book is modestly priced, will save you money by helping you to buy only what you need.

Clear skies

James

Many thanks on the book advice that has now been ordered.

I was looking at the HEQ5 Mounts today on FLO and was particularly interested in the HEQ5 Pro GOTO mount. But is it worth buying the GOTO for the extra money or going with the HEQ5 SynTrek?

Many thanks on the book advice that has now been ordered.

I was looking at the HEQ5 Mounts today on FLO and was particularly interested in the HEQ5 Pro GOTO mount. But is it worth buying the GOTO for the extra money or going with the HEQ5 SynTrek?

I'm almost sure I read that with the EQmod and a planetarium software you won't need the GOTO as the planetary software will do that work. But you should confirm that. :)

This is my personal opinion only!

I got the full goto package with my HEQ5. I am glad that I did as the whole thing is hard enough for me without introducing yet another bit of software. I have been imaging for about 8 months - I still use my handset and don't see me changing any time soon. I think, if I'd bought the HEQ5 as the version that required another software package to work, I would probably have given it all up.

Computers crash, software can be temperamental, I want to keep my technology to a minimum, hence me using the handset! For me, the extra was worth it. I guess only you can make that decision, how you feel about software etc. Maybe have a look on youtube as there's a few EQMOD vids on there and that may help you make your decision about whether you want to use the handset or not.

This is my personal opinion only!

I got the full goto package with my HEQ5. I am glad that I did as the whole thing is hard enough for me without introducing yet another bit of software. I have been imaging for about 8 months - I still use my handset and don't see me changing any time soon. I think, if I'd bought the HEQ5 as the version that required another software package to work, I would probably have given it all up.

Computers crash, software can be temperamental, I want to keep my technology to a minimum, hence me using the handset! For me, the extra was worth it. I guess only you can make that decision, how you feel about software etc. Maybe have a look on youtube as there's a few EQMOD vids on there and that may help you make your decision about whether you want to use the handset or not.

A valid point with regards to the software, i think as i am beginner in the photography side of things i need all the help i can get and the GOTO may be the way for me and as i progress move onto the EQMODS.

I don't see why it is an 'either or' question. You can have the simple benefits (freedom) of having the Synscan handset but you can still attach that to a laptop to enjoy the benefits of EQMOD. There is of course a cost implication to consider when buying the kit from scratch and whether to pay the extra for Synscan when you probably would feel that as an imager, you are unlikely to use it. However, I would prefer to have the handset to give me as many options as possible in how to use my scope be it imaging, observation and outreach without always being tied to a laptop.

James

Just want to thank everyone for all the help and advice you have given me. I spoke to Martin over at FLO and i have just ordered myself the 80ED and HEQ5 PRO mount it seems to be the tried and tested choice for a lot of people, should be here at the end of the month.

Thanks again everyone. I will no doubt be posting lots over the coming months for tips on photography.

Archived