Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

So i need a mirror, and not the curvy kind.

I just acquired myself a pair of 12x50s at the car booty. :p

Having been fooling around with some other binos the last few days i have developed quite a neck ache, so i've decided to make a binoflex/skywindow type contraption.

I'm on a very tight budget, so the cheaper the better. I saw on here that the guy sourced an old tank periscope mirror. I've been searching around ebay and google for things like custom cut mirror glass, small mirrors, 6x9 mirrors, tank mirrors etc, but can't really find anything, except some glazing companies who'll cut custom sizes for a flat rate of £15.

I was hoping for something a little cheaper, so if anyone can point me in the direction of a flat mirror around 6"x9" give or take an inch each way, in the uk, for around £5, they will earn themselves 1000 internet points. :)

Does the fact that it's silvered at the rear really matter at these low binocular powers, though? I'm asking because I really don't know. Binocular views through windows seem OK, after all.

I'd suggest trying out the concept quickly using any mirror you can lay your hands on. If satisfied, continue with the project.

Does the fact that it's silvered at the rear really matter at these low binocular powers, though? I'm asking because I really don't know. Binocular views through windows seem OK

It's not just the optical purity - it's the double reflection. Just look at the reflection of your finger at 45degrees in your bathroom mirror. You can immediately see the double reflection. This then becomes a multiple reflection on any bright light sources as the light ping-pongs between the front and back surfaces.

Archived