NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My first night out treat!

jbk44

Hello I really thought I should post a message about my first outing with my Skywatcher 200 dob. I was really lucky because a local astronomer (Jim) with years of experience came up with a good site that was not too far away.

Before we went out he showed me his set up, which was a wonderful dome observatory that he made in his garden 20 or so years ago. Inside were two stunning looking W/O telescopes set up for imaging and to be honest I’d have been happy just to stay in there all night!

Anyway after being made jealous we decided to get in the car and pop up to the site that he recommended. After setting up (a two min job), I was given my first lesson on learning the constellations and after the first hour I added another 15 constellations to my meager 5 or so that I already knew.

The sky was looking great and Jim wanted to start to look for DSO’s, I’ll try and list a few but I won’t remember all that he showed me (having Jim there was like having my own goto dob), m13, m31, m57, m27, m45, Albireo, Caldwelll14, Jupiter and it’s moons, m32, m71, and more! Damn it I should have taken a pen and paper just to help me list them.

I was totally stunned with m13 the way it just glittered had me hypnotised for ages and ages, I kept going back to it again and again.

I just can’t wait to get out there again!

hi jbk44 sounds like jim showed the show stoppers that are not that hard to find,once you no were they are ,but glad you had a great night ,dark sites are great to goto ,but like most we saty on the garden and put up with a bit of lp .

Show stoppers for sure! :)

Damn L/p! It's not that bad where i live i can see m57 and with ease. But the great thing about my dob is how quick it is to set up, so a 15 miin drive to a dark site is well worth it!

If i ever get into eq drives and imaigng then I'll just have to move house to a darker place haha. That's a lot to move around and set up.

Congrats Jbk - sounds like you got a right proper initiation - you'll be hooked forever now lol :)

Thanks and yes I'm hooked, I just wish my brain would take in more info faster!

But the great thing about my dob is how quick it is to set up, so a 15 miin drive to a dark site is well worth it!

Amen to that. That is the great thing about any Dob, they make dark sky forays much more realistic.

If my 10" was on a GEM I doubt if I would bother to move it very far.

Obviously my 16" would be completely static.

Regards Steve

M13 was amazing, and on that night yes it was my favourite! I now understand why experienced astronomers say the more time you spend looking at an object the more you will see.

Thanks Micheal great word for it 'thunderstruck'.

Archived