NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher 127 Mak Tube Problem (HELP)

Matt2011

Thanks Great Bear, Going to save up and buy the 180mm Mak and will be next year before I can afford one but the details on jupiter you describe sounds amazing and would you say a 180mm Mak on a EQ5 mount is portable and a grab and go scope. Definitely getting one though :)

Might pay you to take a look through this thread if you think a 180 Skymax is a grab and go :(http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/128173-look-size-thing.html

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting that you would change the scope for the Schott glass - I was under the impression that Skywatcher / Synta had been using Schott (which is a manufacturer of glass rather than a type of glass as I understand it) as a glass supplier for sometime but a new agreement with them means that since 2008 they now acknowledge that with a badge on the tube :)

I do agree with the others that the orientation of the logo is of no matter in the dark but the positioning of the focus knob and the finder might be more critical. It is possible to use tube rings and a dove tail with these scopes then you can have the tube in any position you like :(

I have fitted Orion tube rings to my 127 and find the set up makes for very comfortable viewing!!

Are there any photos of a Skywatcher 180mm Mak on an Equatorial Mount. Won't get the 180mm Mak until March time I think and I am happy with my 127 5" Mak st the moment and its very portable and I us a Skywatcher 20mm Plossl and a Skywatcher 10mm Plossl eyepiece and can anyone recommend any other eyepieces which would be even better, I have a gr8 deluxe Skywatcher diagonal on my scope as well but are the baader eyepieces worth the money as they are expensive but what ones would anyone recommend! Thanks :)

Are there any photos of a Skywatcher 180mm Mak on an Equatorial Mount.

See here: http://stargazerslounge.com/completed/76513-skymax-pro-180-heq5-pro-set-up-absolutely-immaculate-kit-850-a.html

Note: You'll need to make another couple of posts to hit the "50 posts minimum" limit required to access the above section of SGL)

As for the Baader eyepieces, yes, they are all good value for money for the quality on offer - but only you can decide if they suit your observing habits.

Thanks SpaceBoy and GreatBear, Going to buy those Baader eyepiece and will start of wit either 1 or 2 but looks like 1 eyepiece to start with. How many eyepieces does the average astronomer use and need. Tried clicking on the links but says i need special priviledges to access them and not sure what that means and how do you get them. Going to get that Skywatcher 180 Mak and use it for home use and then use my Skywatcher 127 5" Mak if i have to travel with the scope. Going to get the EQ5 Pro Synscan Mount as I am on a budget but gonna get the 180mm Mak next year and use the EQ5 Pro Synscan Mount for the 127 5" Mak Scope and never had an equatorial mount and are these easy to set up and should i buy this Skywatcher Polarscope as I think this EQ5 Pro Synscan Mount may not have one. Thanks :)

..Tried clicking on the links but says i need special priviledges to access them and not sure what that means and how do you get them.....

You need 50 posts (which you have) and to be a member of the forum for one month (which you have not quite reached).

How many eyepieces does the average astronomer use and need.

Depends on the scope.

With a Mak at (say) F12 or F15 then three is enough I find:

1) One at ~0.7x the Focal Ratio (e.g. 11mm for an F15 scope)

2) One at the Focal Ratio itself (e.g. 15mm for an F15 scope)

3) A 24mm widefield or a 32mm Plossl for DSO viewing

The first one is for lunar/planetary use, the second for lunar/planetary use when skies are not so good, and the third for DSO as stated.

With an F5 Newtonian, I'd have 4 or 5 eyepieces and be a little more conservative on the high-power one.

EQ mounts are easy enough to set up - it's just a bit tedious having to do so :) oh - and without a polar scope it's even more tedious :(

Archived