SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher 127 Mak Tube Problem (HELP)

Matt2011

Received my Skywatcher 127 Mak (Tube Only) from Rother Valley optics and basically having already the blue version of the same scope but liking the new Schott Glass feature and being on a budget again and also liking the black and white look better I fixed the scope today on my Skywatcher AZ GOTO mounting via the dovetail and something is wrong as even though it fits on to this mount and its the same dovetail as the other one the writing on the tube SKYWATCHER appears in the wrong place and appears above the tube so the view of it is like if you were looking at the scope from a bird's eye view and the focuser looks like its not in the right place and looks like to me that either the dove tail is positioned on this scope in the wrong place or the SKYWATCHER writing on the tube. When I do connect this new tube on the AZ GOTO MOUNT the image is wrong and the other SKYWATCHER LOGO writing on the tube is not visible unless you look under the tube. Would appreciate any help and gonna see if i can take some pics and upload via my mobile phone. Thanks:icon_confused:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should I use the screwdriver provided and undew the screws where the white plate where the diagaonal is situated and maybe see if i can turn the black tube around so the "SKYWATCHER LOGO WRITING" is showing on the sides of the tube rather than 1 of the "SKYWATCHER LOGO WRITING" on top like if you were looking at thge tube from a light on the ceiling and in other words a bird eye's view and would loosening the screws and trying to see if i can turn the black tube around so its the right image but as I mentioned there are 2 "SKYWATCHER LOGO WRITING" ON THE TUBE and the other one you cannot see as its under the tube of the scope but its the BLACK DIAMOND 5" SKYWATCHER 127 MAKSUTOV. Thanks :)

Basically I bought the OTA only and have a SKYWATCHER AZ GOTO MOUNT and looking at it again it seems the dove tail is in the wrong place on the tube or the black part of the tube itself needs moving maybe but I tried putting my other Blue 127 Mak on it and seeing how that fits and looks like either the black tube itself needs moving around or the dovetail has been put by accident in the wrong place as the SKYWATCHER LOGO on the tube appears on top of the tube and the other SKYWATCHER LOGO appears underneath. Is there anything I can try and thanks for your help:)

Looks like to me that this version of the Skywatcher is meant for only EQ3 or EQ5 mounts and not my Skywatcher AZ GOTO mount but correct me if i am wrong but my other Blue Skywatcher 127 Mak tube came with the mount. Thanks

Why does it matter where the logo is? You can't see it in the dark. If the focuser were in an awkward place for operating it, or the finder wasn't usable then I could understand.

I imagine that all the stand-alone OTAs are fitted with a dovetail set up for going on a "normal" alt-az like the AZ3 or on an equatorial mount. It's quite possible that for those sold with the goto mount they fit the dovetail in a different position in the factory.

James

Thanks James, Basically the focuser sits under diagonal and also when I did fit the OTA to the mount and then plugged in my Synscan to move the scope it ended up catching on the silver bit on the Skywatcher AZ GOTO mount when the scope was moving but my guess that your right and maybe the dovetail on this OTA waas fitted there for maybe going on to another mount rather than the Skywatcher AZ GOTO mount I have but FLO have a replacement bar for the OTA and gonna order that all I need do is unscrew the bar that was fitted to the Skywatcher OTA and then fit that to it but gonna ring FLO tomorrow and as I live in Torquay and there in Exeter I may drive up there:) Many Thanks :)

Interesting that you would change the scope for the Schott glass - I was under the impression that Skywatcher / Synta had been using Schott (which is a manufacturer of glass rather than a type of glass as I understand it) as a glass supplier for sometime but a new agreement with them means that since 2008 they now acknowledge that with a badge on the tube :)

I do agree with the others that the orientation of the logo is of no matter in the dark but the positioning of the focus knob and the finder might be more critical. It is possible to use tube rings and a dove tail with these scopes then you can have the tube in any position you like :p

Thanks Jahmanson, Basically a friend wants to buy a scope and will be buying my Skywatcher (BLUE TUBE) Maksutov in a few weeks so I decided that I would get another Mak and do like the latest "BLACK DIAMOND LOOK" on the latest scopes from Skywatcher and heard about the Schott Glass and it was fitted on my last one which is the one I am selling but I have it on a Skywatcher AZ GOTO mount. Basically looking at it the dove tail has been fitted in a different position compared to my last one but this new Skywatcher 127 Mak OTA fits no problem but the focuser and seems to close for the diagonal and also the finder is no positioned in ther right way so it all does not look right but I am planning on getting a new EQ5 Deluxe Mount in a few weeks from FLO and a bargain price of £229.00 and in the meantime as I wanna use it may spend the £13.00 i think and get the Replacement Mounting Bar from FLO and when you go on the website and then select telescopes and then Maksutovs and then Maksutovs you click on the Skywatcher 127 OTA "TUBE ONLY" and there is a link for the replacement and hope that will solve my problems until I get my new mount sometime. Will ring FLO tomorrow and ask them if that will solve my problem but hope so. Thanks :):p

Looking at your profile picture I now see your problem. Maybe it would be worth posting some pictures so we can get a better look and see the best way to solving your problem. I have had a 127 OTA only scope an it was configured to sit on an EQ3 but other than the logo orientation being offset the finder and every thing else was fine for using on the supatrak mounts. Out of interest what size diagonal came with the scope ?

Thanks all and just posted some pics on my photos section and feel free to reply and comment but looks like from a phone conversation that the dovetail that the Skywatcher OTA came with was designed for use with a EQ3 or an EQ5 mount according to Rother Valley Optics where I bought it and also seeked advice from Martin at First Light Optics and he is such a nice man and was really helpful and think he is more than helpful and he emailed me and called me on my phone so looks like I am gonna look for a EQ3 or a EQ5 mount and preferably with Synscan and would consider a Dual Axis Drive instead but I like observing the moon and planets but I do also like some deep sky also so any ideas anyone on a possible Skywatcher mount for a Skywatcher 127 5" Black Diamond Scope. Check out my new pictures and photos on my profile and please comment if you wish and thanks all :)

Hello Spaceboy, Thanks for your reply my friend and the Diagonal the Skywatcher 127 Mak came with was the 1.25" 31.7mm one and recently bought the Deluxe Model by Skywatcher which really does improve the detail and contrast on planets and the moon especially. Thanks

I now see your problem. It's really quite odd that Synta would make the two versions. Either version works well on an EQ3 so why swap what side the finder sits on :)

It just seems such a shame that you have gone into such a large expense when, and as it has already been pointed out they are the same scope with the same Schott glass. The power of branding and a simple colour change hey. Most people went with the much cheaper option of wrapping their OTA's http://stargazerslounge.com/members-equipment-gallery/143601-helios-carbon-fibre-6-f5.html.

Although you will now loose the grab and go appeal of the MAK AZ mount set up you will benefit from a much sturdier mount. Although you may think your best bet would be to order an EQ3 synscan mount First Light Optics - Skywatcher EQ3 PRO Synscan GOTO you have to consider that the 127 MAK is limited to the amount of DSO you can view due to the MAK's tight FOV and limiting aperture. You would be paying a lot of money for a GT mount that have a data base of thousand of objects most of which cannot be seen through a small instrument. While the MAK is a very versatile scope I would not warrant the cost of a synscan mount and go in favor of looking out for a S/H larger EQ5. This way should you decide to upgrade in the future the mount would be more capable of supporting a significant upgrade from the 5" MAK plus you can always add the synscan kit at a later date. This is what I would do but others may offer different idea you consider more suitable.

Thanks Spaceboy, Your right in your reply and later and maybe next year sometime I will upgrade again and likely to get a Skywatcher 180mm Mak and I will need to order the right mount and have my eye on 2 mounts from FLO and one is the Skywatcher EQ5 Deluxe Mount which sells for £229.00 and that one is not a GOTO and dones not have the Synscan but I have the handset at home here but the other mount is the EQ5 Deluxe Pro Goto Synscan which sells for £496.00 which would be ideal for the Skywatcher 180mm Mak which I wll get next year mate. The EQ5 Deluxe is a good bargain and like that but its only got optional Dual Axis Drives which don't come with the mount but maybe its worth paying the £496.00 which is a lot of money for the EQ5 Deluxe Pro Goto Synscan so when I do get the Skywatcher 180mm Mak some time next year I do not need to buy another mount but the link that you posted of the EQ 3 is £388.00 but for just £100 more I may as well get the £496.00 and like the legs also on this mount and looks better and more stable. These are the 2 mounts I mean from First Light Optics in Exeter. How portable would these mounts be compared to the Skywatcher AZ GOTO mount I have and would they be easy to set up and also was thinking of taking my scope to somewhere where there is gr8 skies like Brixham which is near me. Did you get to see my photos I took on my profile. In your opinion which one should I get out of the 2 mounts( PICTURED) with the possibilty of buying a Skywatcher 180 mm Mak next year Many Thanks Spaceboy :):p

skywatcher_EQ5_mount_thumb.jpg

Skywatcher EQ5 Deluxe£229.00

Latest version of a hugely popular mount.

skywatcher_eq5_goto_synscan_thumb.jpg

EQ5 PRO Synscan GOTO£486.00

”Both the NEQ3 and EQ5 SynScan are excellent mounts; pleasingly firm, with little vibration and easily set up. Tracking is also very satisfactory.“ Sir Patrick Moore CBE FRS

I'm sorry to have to say this, but the Mak 180 is my main scope and I really would not recommend putting it on anything less than an HEQ5.

I know that's not what you want to hear, but the Mak 180 is just about on the limit of what even the HEQ5 can take comfortably. The HEQ5 handles the Mak 180 confidently, but it's clearly right up the top end of the mount's capabilities.

I had an EQ5 style mount briefly and tried the 180 on it. Not only would additional weights have been necessary to balance the scope, but the mount really felt like it was struggling badly. I realised quickly that I had make a mistake and - due in part to other unrelated problems - returned the mount and went for the HEQ5 instead - which is the appropriate mount for the scope.

On a different note, I had a 102 Mak recently and am familliar with the dovetail orientation issue. It's annoying - especially since (as pointed out) the AltAz version would suit all mount types (except for the logo position issue)...

As GB has pointed out the EQ5 would not be the best mount for a 180 MAK. The OTA may only be 7.8 KG but this weight is at the far most ends of the OTA. A big lump of glass one end and an equal lump of mirror the other puts a lot of leverage on the EQ5's weaker worm gear design. I'm not sure what your astronomical interests are but I think it may pay you to take a look at your options before committing your self to any expensive spends. There is a EQ3 in the for sale section that would keep you going for a while and your synscan HC should plug straight in giving you goto. Astro boot sometimes have supatrak handsets which you could use to replace the synscan on the AZ mount enabling you to sell that as a working mount and so help to fund the EQ3 buy.

Thanks guys and will price up a HEQ5 MOUNT and will actually get the 150mm MAK soon but I am on a budget and the EQ5 is £496 which is a lot anyway so need to price up the HEQ5 one, Anyone know how good the Skywatcher 180mm Mak is and how much more powerful will this be compared to a 127 5" MAK and would I be able to make out any detail on any of Jupiter's moon as Damian Peach can using his Celestron C14 as seen on The Sky at Night last night. Thanks :)

With the Mak 180 - with good eyepieces and a good diagonal (no idea how good the latest diagonal is that's supplied with the scope) you can see many belts on Jupiter and the larger wisps and mottled markings of some of the storms - you have to look carefully though - these details expose themselves over the course of several minutes at the eyepiece. It's an interesting experience as it demonstrates how your vision uses memory and experience to gradually build up the image in your mind - i.e. you can see the details once you know they're there...

Similarly with Saturn you can see the banding on the surface, and the Cassini division between the rings easily visible.

Looking at the moon at a pleasant mid-range magnification of 150x on a clear night results in an image so satisfyingly sharp you want to take a bite.

how much more powerful will this be compared to a 127 5" MAK
As with any scope, the simplest description is to say the Mak 180 is as sharp at 180x as the Mak 127 is at 127x - it's that simple.

Regarding Jupiter's moons, through the Mak 180 you can see that they are not stars - i.e. they are tiny blobs rather than pinpricks, but detail? No - not even a hint. You need a huge scope with advanced astro-photography equipment to capture that - and even then, there's substantial post-processing on computer being done.

Thanks Great Bear, Going to save up and buy the 180mm Mak and will be next year before I can afford one but the details on jupiter you describe sounds amazing and would you say a 180mm Mak on a EQ5 mount is portable and a grab and go scope. Definitely getting one though :)

would you say a 180mm Mak on a EQ5 mount is portable and a grab and go scope.

- as I say, the 180 is too heavy for the EQ5.

But a 180+HEQ5? Well - depends what you mean by "grab 'n' go". I always thought that the phrase meant you could grab a scope with one hand as you walked out the door -but clearly I'm in the minority! :)

With just a Ford Focus for a family of four, we're definitely "space-challenged" but the 180 isn't too much of an overhead. There's essentially six components to such a setup:

1. 180 Scope tube
  2. EQ Tripod
  3. HEQ5 Head
  4. Bag of counterweights+spreader
  5. Bag of finderscope, dew-shield, kneely-mat, and other bits
  6. Eyepieces & binoviewer case

The tripod and bags of stuff fit into essentially dead space in the boot, leaving only the mount head and of course the tube itself. Being quite squat though, neither are difficult to pack when wrapped in blankets.

There's also the 12v PowerPack too - but we'd be taking that anyway...

If we were going on a "general" holiday that wasn't specifically focussed on astronomy, I'd have a tough time justifying this Mak 180 setup.

Archived