Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First attempt at drawing. (Cassiopeia and Pleiades)

Astroegg

Cassiopeia (unaided) and Pleiades (8x40 binoculars)

post-23941-133877668208_thumb.jpg

I have not tried this before, in fact I have not recorded my observing in any way before (except for scribbling some Messier objects I wanted to see on a post-it note once), so I hope this looks acceptable.

I drew these on black art card using a white gel tip pen, as suggested by todd8137 and found it quite interesting. I think the accuracy is pretty bad but checking them against Stellarium shows I wasn't totally off.

The skies were clear but the light pollution (London is less than 20 miles away) and some hazy seeing probably hid a lot of detail. The Milky Way was not really visible at all in the Cassiopeia observation, and when I drew Pleiades, although I could see some slight nebulosity in the binos, I did not know how best to draw it using the gel-ink pen. The 8x40 binoculars I used in observing Pleiades have really seen better days too!

I drew them from the top of the North Downs whilst sat in a deck chair looking up at the sky. I held a red torch in my mouth to illuminate the drawing, which meant I eventually drooled all over the place! I also managed to smudge some of the wet ink. Maybe next time I should get a clipboard and head torch...

post-23941-133877668191_thumb.jpg

Thanks DP. I am quite pleased with the Pleiades one myself. I can't really see enough stars for unaided observtions to be very detailed (as the Cassiopeia illustration shows) however I needed to have a go at something simple first. Seeing as Cassiopeia was straight above when I looked, and there were not too many stars, I thought I'd crack my teeth on it for a first effort and move onto something a little more detailed the next time. Pleiades through binoculars is a sight even in poor binoculars though! Glad you like it.

Thanks for the lovely comments folks. I managed to look at the Pleiades again through my new 20x80 binoculars and the detail is incredible. I will get the drawing tools out again and try to improve the technique. Not holding the torch in my mouth is definitely going to help!

Archived