NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 7331 and St Stephens Quintet

Catanonia

Eventually some clear skies and time to dust off the MN190 / QHY9 and TS OAG with QHY5

I remember taking this target on last year with an ED120 and Canon 1000D and not getting a very good result and so hoped this time with upgraded kit, I would be able to get better colours and detail.

Taken 2 nights ago with 5 min subs in LRGB and processed with PixInsight and CS5.

Looks like I got a load of galaxies in the image.

Hope you like.

post-16631-133877668142_thumb.jpg

Lovely image, nice balance of colour and lots of detail. When one sees a NGC7331 and its retinue one's always scanning the image for more fuzzies and here there are plenty!

Incidentally this is the first time I've heard it referred to as St Stephen's Quintet (the cluster was discovered by 19th century French astronomer Edouard Stephan - great guy I'm sure he was - but not a saint!). But I suppose there can be no harm in 'canonising' the quintet!

Archived