NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eyepieces for Skywatcher ED80

Hi folks,

I was just wondering what EPs other people are using with their ED80s? Particularly which models and focal lengths that you find most useful with this scope.

I mainly use my ED80 for visual lunar and planetary and I'm using a couple of generic Plossls (40mm and 17mm) which I find to be fine at these focal lengths, and a 7.5mm Celestron Ultima (which I can't really fault and is my best EP). I also use a University Optics 5mm Ortho for high mags. This last has a good reputation and I find it OK - but not as good as the Ultima. I'm undecided whether that's simply due to the higher mag giving a dimmer image or whether the Ortho design is perhaps a bit outdated.

Anyway, what EPs do you good people recommend for the ED80?

Cheers,

Dave. :D

Whats your budget? I used a televue 3-6 nagler for planetary and it worked great. Gave 100x - 200x magnification which was more than enough for the little 80mm objective. On the wider end I used a panoptic 24 which gave 25x magnification, great for sweeping star fields and viewing clusters. Inbetween I had a 11mm T6 nagler giving 54x, a very nice medium eyepiece.

Of course if your budget is lower, you can take a look at the hyperions. Lower than those look at TV plossl and meade S4000

Been using mine with a 21mm Hyperion. Can't fault it really. Pin sharp across most of the field and it's quite a large AFOV. Can also break it in two and use as a widefield low power 2" eyepiece. Image quality drops off considerably but it then becomes a good finder eyepiece. Can also buy tuning rings for the Hyperion to shorten the focal length. For instance with the 28mm tuning ring the 21mm becomes a 15mm and with no real loss of image quality. There's also a 14mm tuning and the two can also be combined to create a 42mm tuning ring. Extremely versatile eyepiece that's well suited to the ED80.

The 13mm Hyperion is reputedly the best of the range, and off course you can use the tuning rings to alter the focal length of the eyepiece.

I personally wouldn't replace the 7.5mm Ultima.....superb eyepiece! A classic.

I don't see a need for more than 3 eyepieces.

Russ

I use Tele Vue Plossl's from 8 to 32mm plus a Celestron Ultima 2x barlow most of the time. For extreme wide field I've got a 2inch diagonal and a 38mm 70 degree FoV Super Wide eyepiece which gives a 4.5 degree true field.

John.

Archived