NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bonfires!!! GRRRR!!

Hig

Another lovely calm night, totally clear here, reasonable seeing and not too cold to have to wrap up warm, I can already see jupiter peeking brightly over the rooftops, so took the scope out to cool and suddenly smelt burning wood, looked over to the left and about 2 gardens down someone is just starting a huge fire... lovely...!!! :p

and then within minutes I could hardly see ten foot nevermind across the galaxy.... not to mention to smell..

damn neighbours always spoiling things if its not LP with security lights etc then its stuff like this!!!

After weeks of torture having no scope or binos, i finally managed to source a crappy pair of 8x21s to play with tonight. Less than ideal i know, but gotta be better than naked eye.

I decided i'm not gonna drive 30mins to my proper dark sky spot for the sake of some 8x21s, so head down to the local playing field which is pretty dark 364 days a year.

This is not one of those days.

The 5 a side pitch and tennis courts are lit up with what can only be described as brutal lighting. I grabbed a quick look at jupiter, i was expecting to be disapointed with what i'd see with those binos, and i was, but i was just happy to be out there at last, with at least some semblance of an optical instrument.

Had exactly the same here this eve. For the past two nights, some git thought it would be the perfect time for a fire. Its a good distance away, but the light winds mean that the stink just hangs around. It even got into my house (which i found rather annoying).

You cant see the smoke, just smell it - but it had better not mess up the newt as ive only just cleaned and re-collimated it.

I know how you feel. I was out last night with my binos and the garden behind me also started a lovely bonfire. Ahh, it doesn't get any better then the fresh smell of burning wood! And then two gardens down my neighbour turned on these horrible lights which lit up the entire street! Grrr!

Archived