Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mirror retention and holding collimation

My Sumerian Optics 10" mirror is held in place with three metal clips which have a sticky-foam pad on. However, these pads seem to have been squished and have lost their elasticity resulting in there being a little bit of play between the mirror and the three bolts it rests on. Does anyone know what I could replace them with? Something that has a memory I guess, like neoprene?

Also, is it a feature of compact truss Dobs such as mine that the adjustment is all taken up within these pads, rather than through a frame on which the mirror sits?

I realise it would be far easier if I took a photo, but perhaps I'm making some sense anyway?

There should be a little space between the mirror clips and the top surface of the mirror - they used to say that it was about the thickness of a business card, in the days when people carried such things about. If the mirror clips press too hard on the mirror they can warp it slightly which distorts the images.

Thanks John,

There's certainly a bit more than a business card's width between the clip and the mirror face, although based on what you say, I think the collimation bolts (three of them) aren't quite long enough to provide sufficient adjustment for reliable collimation. It's often been the case that all three are done up as tight as they'll go before collimation is reached. It might be that I could "extend" these by placing some packing on the back of the mirror where they hit, or by getting slightly longer bolts.

A photo will make everything clear....possibly.

Why do you need these bolts screwed in all the way?

Is this to move the focus further out in the focuser???

You should be able to collimate by winding ALL the bolts back, say 1/2 way their travel and by adjusting one or max two of the bolts achieve collimation??

That's quite an unusual design, or at least one I've not see before, - having the collimation bolts directly bearing on the rear of the mirror. Usually the mirror sits in a frame and the collimation bolts are attached to that, or bear on that, tilting the frame / mirror as a unit.

Thanks John!

And the other John (!) I guess it's all part of the minimalist approach these scopes have. Can't be easy making a 10" dobsonian which weighs under 20kg!

I'm not annoyed by this at all, by the way - it very, very nearly works perfectly. Another few mm and it would. Could always be me doing something wrong too!

Hmmm

The screws are pretty long at the moment....

I think the real issue is you're trying to use them not for collimating but to move the focus point further from the tube (yes?)

You could remove the mirror and add three "plates" inline with the screws...1/4" -3/8"

thick - this would allow you to "back-off" the screws and get more adjustment.

Maybe a brass dome headed nut on each screw would get you there??

Just had a reply from Michael at Sumerian, and he says (as some of you have) is that the clips are there simply to stop the mirror falling out. He says some longer screws would work and suggests some springs on them between the head and the mirror box....which sounds a good idea and is something my old Orion dobsonian had.

Archived