Got the scope - now I'd like to get into astronomy

Hi :p

I bought a second hand Skywatcher ED80 a little while ago specifically for use in birding/photography, which has been a cheap, bulky but above all quality piece of kit. Having turned my old spotting scope on Jupiter after Cox's last foray onto the television, I was stunned to be able to make out 4 of the moons and even the bands in the atmosphere. So I was thinking now I actually happen to own a half decent astronomy telescope, why not do more?!

I currently have a 1.25" 20mm eyepiece and a 45 degree prism thingy, some extension tubes (for reducing minimum focus in my case) and a 9mm eyepiece plus an Antares 2" 1.6x Barlow in the post. Most importantly I have very little idea what I'm doing when it comes to astronomy, so if anyone has time to answer a few questions or point me in the direction of some online resources (presumably you get bored answering the same beginners questions all day long) I could really use the help.

1. I currently use my photography tripod which is woefully inadequate for something so heavy, but just scrapes by. I'd guess that the precision movements needed to view celestial bodies might be beyond this, so do I need to buy something more appropriate? Any recommendations on what?

2. When I get the 2" Barlow, can I combine it with the 1.25" eyepieces? If so will this simply lower the IQ too much to be usable? (otherwise I'll be using it as essentially a teleconverter so no eyepieces involved)

3. What kind of things can I hope to see with this set up? Can I get those stunning views of the Andromeda galaxy and Orion Nebula for example? Or will Andromeda just be a little misty disc?

4. How do I find stuff in the sky?! I don't have the mini sidekick scope (guide scope?) that originally came with it and I'm assuming that's what that was for ;)

Cheers,

Owen

Hi Owen

I personally would recommend an Alt-az type mount for visual observing. They are far easier to set up and find things with.

How stunning a view is, is down to your own interpretation. I think any real view of a DSO even through the smallest of scopes is infinitely better than any overexposed image.

You will need a finder of some kind or another to help you find things in the sky. Either a red dot/Telrad or an optical one.

Regards Steve

Hi Owen with a better tripod, I use the EQ5 with a single axis motor drive and a finder scope you will be set up for finding more wonderful sights in the sky. I started off looking at Jupiter then went on to the Andromeda galaxy the ring nebula the Orion nebula and then there's lots of globular clusters to go and find take a look at m13 in Hercules its amazing. Finding things is more rewarding with out a go to set up I dont have one and wouldn't want one as I enjoy finding things myself with the aid of my trusty planisphere. I also use Google sky map to find stuff on my android phone. I should think your scope would be great for planets and Saturn although lower down now is a great sight if you havent seen it yet make that a must have on your list. Of course lets not forget the moon which is incredible as well. A clear dark sky also makes a big big difference if your looking for galaxys as there often just whispy gray blobs when your find some of them. I found that attatching my slr camera to the scope I have and taking pictures with it has revealed much more detail then the naked eye can see through the scope as well. But for now you will have a wealth of stuff to look at in the night sky take your time and enjoy finding your way around that's the fun part.:p

Clear skies Quatermass

The ED80 is a nice scope, sort of do anything within reason.

Andromeda will be a faint fuzzy blob, sorry.

If you were at a nice dark site then you might see more of it's detail, but nothing like the pictures you see.

Orion is a bit more promising, it will be a somewhat brighter patch, more detail and there are stars in the nebula that will show up. Don't expect colour. Some have seen colour but that was with 14-16 inch scopes.

The barlow is intended for use with the eyepiece, it reduces it's focal length by, in your case 1.6, so a bit mor magnification.

Cepending on how good the eyepiece and the barlow is will determine the image quality you see. Not ure how good the Antares is. If 2" then you will need a reduced for it to accept 1.25 eyepieces.

The finderscope will be useful, have a look round, they come up used on astro buy and sell, or just buy one. There are a few types and everyone likes different types, find out what you get along with.

Until then start with the long eyepiece to get a wide view so hopefully find things.

What will you see, well quite a lot really, various nebula, globular and open clusters, double stars.

With the background in photography I assume that at some time the lure to astrophotography will take hold. This is a somewhat expensive aspect. Very expensive!!!

As said an alt/az is easier to use, but for astrophotography it really means an equitorial. The ED80 will go OK on an EQ5 for now and they either come with motors or you can fit them. Need motors to track the objects across the sky for the long duration exposures, and easier for general viewing.

Didn't look to see if you put a location but would suggest you locate an astro society (fedastro.org.uk, member societies) and pay a local one a visit.

Hi

For a grab'n'go setup use your scope with either the Horizon 8115 tripod (a heavy duty photo / video tripod available for around the £80-90 mark) or the Skywatcher AZ4 AltAz tripod which has 1.75" telescopic steel legs, cost approx £175.

Invest in a starmap and/or planesphere and a red light torch and away you go!

1. Either get an Alt-Az mount if you plan to do only visual or a more expensive equatorial mount if later on you plan to do photography-

2. You only need a a basic 2" to 1,25" adapter. Most scopes come with one out of the box. The setup will be scope<barlow<adapter<ep. I also have an Antares and it's very good.

3. Jupiter and Saturn will be great, spliting double stars will be nice too. You can hope to see all Messier objects, depending on the light pollution in your area. You won't see color, except for planets.

4. Get a good starter book such as "Turn Left at Orion". Once you master star hoping (using bright stars to pin point the locations of objects) get "Pocket Sky Atlas" or print your own charts with "Cartes du Ciel", which is a good free software. Stellarium is another nice one, easier to use on the PC but not as good to create charts.

Archived